Building or renovating your home – helpful resources


Helpful videos for home owners

Other useful resources

Always use a licensed plumber, gas fitter or electrician

To protect your health and safety, as well as ensuring your job is completed according to laws, always use an appropriately licensed person.

Search for a licensed plumber, gas fitter or electrician Click here to search 

Always use a registered builder, painter or building surveyor

The best way to protect your investment in a building service provider is to ensure they are registered with Building and Energy. Visit the registers for building services providers to check for current registration. 

Register of building service providers  Search for a registered building service provider 

Consumer Protection website Things to be aware of before hiring a tradesperson


As an owner of land wanting to build or renovate your own home or a small commercial building with the intention of residing in or using the building, you can apply for approval from the Building Services Board to become an owner-builder. The page on owner-builders' responsibilities discusses who can owner-build and what it involves. Download the owner-builder application below.

Owner-builder application package

Click here to download the form

Last modified: