Building practitioner registration
New registration (first time)
To work as a building practitioner in Western Australia, registration with the Building Services Board is required. If you intend to be the 'nominated supervisor' of a building contractor, you must be registered as a building practitioner.
If you are a builder and you neither intend to seek building permits from local government permit authorities, nor intend to contract directly with others to provide building work valued at over $20,000, you do not need to be registered.
When considering an application for registration as a building practitioner, the Board considers, among other factors, the applicant's qualifications, experience and fitness to be registered.
Registration as a building practitioner does not authorise a person to provide services as a building contractor.
How do I apply?
To apply for registration as a building practitioner you must complete the application form for the set that you wish to apply under. There are five sets, each with different requirements. Select the set most suited to your qualifications and experience. Submit your completed application form to Licensing Services along with your supporting documentation and applicable fees.
Each application is thoroughly reviewed by the Licensing staff and may be individually considered by the Building Services Board.
Time frame for application processing
Most building practitioner applications are determined within 14 weeks. You can assist by submitting all of the information required in your application and allow sufficient time for it to be fully assessed.
Changes to application forms
The building practitioner initial application forms (Forms 05 – 09) have been revised and are available below. Older versions of these forms will no longer be accepted after 6 December 2021.
Any applications received after this date using older versions of the forms will be returned.
Sets and application forms
To apply under set 1, you need to have:
- completed the Diploma of Building and Construction; and
- seven years experience in carrying out or supervising building work.
To apply under set 2, you need to:
- have five years full time experience in supervising building construction; and
- be registered under the Architects Act 2004, or be a member of the:
- Royal Australian Institute of Architects;
- Institution of Engineers Australia; or
- Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy.
To apply under set 3, you need to have:
- five years of full time experience in carrying out, supervising or managing building construction; and
- hold membership with the Australian Institute of Building as a Member or Fellow.
To apply under set 4, you will need to undertake a formal assessment of your experience. This may be done by either:
- successfully completing the Board assessment; OR
- having your experience assessed by a Registered Training Organisation, sufficient to obtain the Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) through recognition of prior learning.
In addition to undertaking an assessment of your experience via one of the above pathways, you must demonstrate five (5) years full-time experience in supervising or managing building construction.
Set 5 is for an applicant who is claiming seven (7) years full-time experience in carrying out building work in Western Australia but outside the Board’s jurisdiction. Refer to the following jurisdiction map which highlights the areas where builders are required to be registered with the Board.
To apply under set 5, you need to undertake a formal assessment of your experience. This may be done by either:
- Successful completion of the Board’s assessments; or
- An assessment of your experience by a Registered Training Organisation, sufficient to obtain the Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) through recognition of prior learning based on experience only.
Qualifications and experience
To apply for registration as a building practitioner you must document that you have particular qualifications and experience. For more information go to the web page 'Documenting your experience and qualifications'.
Still unsure which set to use?
If you are unsure which set to apply under or any of the above information, contact Building and Energy on 1300 489 099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are registered or licensed as a building practitioner elsewhere in Australia or New Zealand, and want to be registered as a building practitioner with the Building Services Board in Western Australia, you can find out more information about having your qualifications recognised in WA.
Share this page: