Building surveying contractor scope of work
The below information provides a description of activities which Western Australia (WA) registered building surveying contractors are permitted to perform. If you are a WA licensee visiting another state under JobPass, you are only allowed to perform the activities listed below.
If you need to apply for a WA licence more information is available on the registration page.
Licence identifier: BSC00 – BSC0000
Scope of work
Level 1 (LVL1): Unlimited – work in respect of any building or incidental structure.
Level 2 (LVL2): Limited – work in respect of Class 1 or Class 10 buildings or incidental structures or Class 2 to 9 buildings or incidental structures with a floor area up to 2,000m2 and not more than 3 stories in height.
Enter into contracts to provide a building surveying service for:
- the examination of plans and specifications for a building or incidental structure to assess the safety, accessibility and energy efficiency of a building or incidental structure if the building or incidental structure is built in accordance with the plans and specifications; and
- the examination of an existing building or incidental structure to assess the safety, accessibility and energy efficiency of the building or incidental structure.
And therefore the issuing of certificates of design compliance, certificates of construction compliance and certificates of building compliance.
Appropriately supervise any Building Surveyor Technician employed.
Cannot issue building permits.
Compliance requirements in WA
To get a WA registration
- Must be registered as a Building Surveyor Practitioner of the level being applied for
- Must not be currently insolvent (if previously insolvent must demonstrate financial capacity)
- Must have professional indemnity insurance with a minimum level of indemnity of:
a) $1,000,000 for any one claim; and
b) $2,000,000 in aggregate during any one period of insurance
- Must have appropriate arrangements in place to manage and supervise building surveying services
- Must pay an application fee
To keep a WA registration
- Must maintain their professional indemnity insurance at the required level
- Must maintain appropriate arrangements to manage and supervise building surveying services
- Must renew the registration every three years
They must comply with the Building Services (Registration) Act 2011, Building Services (Complaint Resolution and Administration) Act 2011, Building Act 2011, Building Regulations 2012, and Building Services (Registration) Regulations 2011, and Building Services (Complaint Resolution and Administration) Regulations 2011.
Share this page: