Do I need to be licensed as a plumber?

This page is for: 

Western Australia’s system for regulating plumbing work protects consumers and the community by ensuring that only suitably qualified people who hold plumbers licences granted by the Plumbers Licensing Board are legally entitled to carry out plumbing work.  Corporate entities such as companies and trusts cannot hold plumbers licences.  People issued a licence are also issued a Plumbers Licensing Board photo ID card.

Six different plumbers licences

The Board issues six different plumbers licences.  All plumbing licence holders are authorised to undertake plumbing work but the scope of the authorised work varies with each licence. 

A plumbing contractor is required to complete higher qualifications than a plumbing tradesperson.  A restricted permit is granted to an electrician or gasfitter to enable that skilled person to also perform particular plumbing work.

Information on the licence categories is on the Plumbers licensing – overview webpage.

Last modified: