Do I need to be registered as a builder?

This page is for: 

Under the Building Services (Registration) Act 2011, only a registered building practitioner or a registered building contractor can perform particular building work. The Building Services Board is the registration authority and is supported in its work by the Building Commission. The legislation has two categories of registration:

  • practitioner; and
  • contractor.

Practitioner registration is for individuals. It allows a person to be the nominated supervisor of a registered building contractor and to use the title 'registered building practitioner'. A practitioner may not provide building services directly to another person.

Contractor registration is for individuals, partnerships and companies that intend to trade as builders. This registration allows a business to provide services as a builder for work that requires a building permit, has a value of $20,000 or more and is located within the area of the Building Services Board’s jurisdiction.

After initial registration with the Building Services Board registered practitioners and contractors must renew their registrations every three years.

Do I need to be a registered builder?

Information on building work that requires a registration.

Click here to download the document

Last modified: