Fit and Proper Guidelines for Electrical Workers

The Electrical Licensing Board (the Board) has adopted a new 'Fit and Proper' Guideline for Electrical Workers, that will come into effect as of Monday 4 May 2020.

The guideline requires all new applicants for an electrician's, electrical training or restricted electrical licence to provide a statutory declaration confirming that they have not been convicted of any offences under Australian law, excluding motor traffic offences.

Should an applicant disclose criminal convictions, then they must also obtain an approved Australian police check no more than three months old, in support of their application. For more information about how to apply for a police check, go to:   

The requirements do not apply to a person who holds an electrical worker's licence applying for a renewal.

Frequently asked questions

Why has the Electrical Licensing Board introduced this?

The Board has introduced this as consumers are entitled to have confidence that the electrical worker they are allowing to enter their home or property is a ‘fit and proper’ person. Consideration of criminal convictions is one key part in assessing if a person is ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence.

It is an important community protection measure and is consistent with other registration or licensing regimes in Western Australia.

Who will be required to complete a statutory declaration?

A person applying for a new:

  • restricted electrical licence;
  • electrician’s training licence;
  • electrician’s licence, where they have not previously held an electrician’s training licence in Western Australia; or
  • restoration of an electrical worker’s licence, where that licence expired less than two years ago.

What information is required in the Statutory Declaration?

The Statutory Declaration is required to confirm that the applicant has not been convicted of any offences under Australian Law, excluding motor traffic offences. A statutory declaration template will be attached to the new licence application forms.

Who will have to obtain a police check?

Any applicant who discloses criminal convictions in the Statutory Declaration, must also provide an Australian police check no more than three months old at the time of lodgement.

How often will I have to provide a police check?

You will only have to provide a police check once at the point of application, if you disclose criminal convictions in the statutory declaration. 

However, if you hold an Electrical Training Licence, when you apply for an electrical workers licence you will be asked if you have been convicted of any offences since obtaining your training licence. If you have, then you will have to provide a current police check.  

Do I have to pay for a police check?

Yes, you are responsible for the cost of the police check.

Will I have to complete the Statutory Declaration when renewing my licence?

No, the requirements to provide a statutory declaration do not apply to a person who holds an electrical worker’s licence and is applying to renew that licence.

What will happen if I have a criminal conviction on my police check?

The Electrical Licensing Board will consider your application to ensure you are a ‘fit and proper’ person in accordance with Reg 24(1). In some cases, the Board may request additional information and a submission from the applicant to make a determination.

Where can I obtain a police check?

For the list of accepted police check providers, please refer to the police checks information page.

What will happen if I don’t submit a Statutory declaration?

If a statutory declaration is not provided, the application will not progress until it is provided.

What will happen if I don’t declare a criminal conviction or supply a police check?

Where a person provides a false statutory declaration, it will be dealt with as a disciplinary matter under the Electrical Licensing Regulations (ELR) and an offence under Regulation 59 of the ELR. It may also be dealt with as an offence under the Criminal Code.

Who can I contact for further information?

Please contact Licensing Services on (08) 6251 2000 if you have any questions or concerns.

Last modified: