Having plumbing work done

Only a plumber who holds a licence issued by the Plumbers Licensing Board can legally carry out water supply, sanitary and drainage plumbing work in Western Australia. Licensing plumbers reduces risks to public health, safety and the environment by ensuring they are competent and sufficiently qualified to do plumbing work that complies with plumbing regulations and standards. Using a licensed plumber minimises:

  • risk of contamination to our drinking water;
  • likelihood of water borne diseases;
  • possibility of serious injury;
  • leakage of wastewater or sewage into the ground; and
  • number of uncontrolled discharges into the environment.

By using a licensed plumber you are protected by a six year guarantee against faulty workmanship. The Board is able to direct licensed plumbers to rectify their work, at no cost to the consumer, if it does not comply with plumbing standards.

Go to the Plumbers' licence search  Click here to visit the webpage

Look for the WaterMark

In Australia most plumbing and drainage products must be WaterMark certified. The WaterMark Certification Scheme is a mandatory national scheme for plumbing and drainage products to ensure they are fit for purpose and appropriately authorised for use in plumbing and drainage installations. 

look for the watermark database static banner
look for the watermark database static banner, by sgrove

Frequently asked questions

What is a drainage plumbing diagram? My plumber has asked if I have one for my property.

A drainage plumbing diagram (otherwise known as a flimsy or as constructed diagram) is a diagrammatic representation of a property’s drainage plumbing work. Drainage plumbing diagrams are drawn by the licensed plumbing contractor responsible for the installation of drainage plumbing. 

What are drainage plumbing diagrams used for?

Drainage plumbing diagrams are regularly used by homeowners, licensed plumbing contractors and others to determine the layout of drainage plumbing on a property. Knowing the layout of drainage plumbing can assist:

  • to identify where additional connections to existing drainage plumbing may be made;
  • to ensure that new buildings or extensions do not interfere with existing drainage plumbing;
  • to ensure that any excavation works do not disturb the drainage plumbing;
  • to assist in the repair of drainage pipework; and
  • when clearing blocked drains.

How do I determine the plumber is licensed to carry out the plumbing work?

All licensed plumbing contractors, tradespersons and restricted plumbing permit holders are required to carry their identity card and must produce it on request. The identity card indicates what type of plumbing work the person is allowed to carry out.

Licensed plumbing contractors are issued with silver cards.

Tradespersons and restricted plumbing permit holders are issued with white cards.

Is the local government still responsible for the drainage and sanitary plumbing connected to a septic tank/treatment unit system?

The Plumbers Licensing Board is responsible for plumbing connected to sceptic tanks and treatment unit systems, inclusing their testing.

Have you asked for a copy of the compliance certificate?

When major plumbing work, involving new (not repair or maintenance of) fixtures, or drainage installation or sewer conversions is carried out at your property, make sure your licensed plumbing contractor gives you a copy of the compliance certificate within five working days of completion of the work.

The compliance certificate is your six year guarantee that the plumbing work has been completed in accordance with all necessary regulations and plumbing standards and that the licensed plumbing contractor warrants they have met all legal obligations required by the Board.


What if a problem arises?

A guide for consumers on Building and Energy's role to assist consumers with resolving plumbing work disputes.

Plumbing dispute resolution


Last modified: