Open flue gas heater safety alert
A national safety alert has been issued for several open-flued gas heaters that, under certain circumstances, may produce too much carbon monoxide – potentially causing serious health risks to users.
Building and Energy is urging owners of these gas heaters to stop using them immediately.
The safety alert applies to:
- Vulcan Heritage or Pyrox Heritage supplied by Climate Technologies Pty Ltd.
- Regency i31 (purchased after 1 January 2010) supplied by Fireplace Products Australia Pty Ltd.
- Regency F38 and FG38 supplied by Fireplace Products Australia Pty Ltd – natural gas models only. The F38/FG38 was branded and supplied by Masport prior to 2006.
- Nectre 2000 (manufactured from 2007) supplied by Glen Dimplex Australia Pty Ltd.
- Real Flame Pyrotech (manufactured from 2012) also supplied by Glen Dimplex Australia Pty Ltd.
- Cannon Fitzroy and Canterbury heaters (manufactured 2001—2009) supplied by Sampford IXL Pty Ltd and Sampford & Staff Pty Ltd
What you need to do
People with these gas heaters in their homes should stop using them immediately and contact the supplier.
Testing has shown that under certain circumstances these heaters produce too much carbon monoxide, which can potentially cause serious health risks.
The supplier will organise for a qualified gas fitter to carry out a safety check on your heater. The heater and its installation will need to be checked and rectified to prevent the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning.
If the heater is spilling dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide or other exhaust gases, it may have to be disconnected until it can be repaired or replaced.
If your heater has been checked by the supplier as a result of a previous Safety Alert, you may disregard this Alert.
Do not use your heater until it has been checked by the supplier. If heating is required, please use other sources. Do NOT bring outdoor gas appliances indoors.
Who to contact
- Vulcan Heritage or Pyrox Heritage Phone Climate Technologies on (08) 9454 1056 for more information.
- Regency i31, F38 or FG38 should contact Fireplace Products Australia on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1800 860 660. Masport can be contacted at 1300 554 155 in relation to pre-2006 F38 or FG38 models.
- Real Flame Pyrotech or the Nectre 2000 should contact Glen Dimplex Australia on email@example.com or phone 1300 014 389.
- For Cannon Fitzory or Canterbury heaters, contact Cannon on: 1800 035 410