Painting contractor registration scope of work

This page is for: 

The below information provides a description of activities which Western Australia (WA) registered painting contractors are permitted to perform. If you are a WA licensee visiting another state under AMR, you are only allowed to perform the activities listed below. 

If you need to apply for a WA licence more information is available on the registration page.

Licence identifier: PC00 – PC00000

Scope of work

To contract for and arrange for the carrying out of painting work valued at $1,000 or more which is the application of paint (which includes varnishes and stains), wall paper or a similar substance or material to a building or fixture within a defined area of the state.

Does not include:

  • industrial painting;
  • the application of paint to a floor, path or driveway composed of concrete or a similar material;
  • the application of a protective coating to a building which has first been treated by abrasive blasting or mechanical cleaning, if both processes are undertaken by the same contractor; or
  • signwriting.

Specific activities

  • applying paint by brush and roller;
  • applying paint by spray;
  • applying texture coat paint finishes by brush, roller and spray;
  • applying stains and clear timber finishes;
  • applying wall paper; and
  • applying decorative finishes.

Compliance requirements in WA

To get a WA registration

  • Must be registered as a painting practitioner
  • Must not be currently insolvent (if previously insolvent must demonstrate financial capacity)
  • Must have appropriate arrangements in place to manage and supervise painting services
  • Must pay an application fee

To keep a WA registration

  • Must maintain appropriate arrangements to manage and supervise painting services
  • Must renew the registration every three years

They must comply with the Building Services (Registration) Act 2011, Building Regulations 2012, and Building Services (Registration) Regulations 2011, Building Services (Complaint Resolution and Administration) Act 2011, Building Services (Complaint Resolution and Administration) Regulations 2011. Home Building Contracts Act 1991 and Home Building Contracts Regulations 1992.

Last modified: