Plumbing contractor's licence
A plumbing contractor licence authorises the holder to:
- carry out the plumbing work specified on the contractor’s licence;
- exercise general direction and control over the carrying out of authorised work by the holder of a tradesperson's licence or a provisional tradesperson’s licence;
- supervise the carrying out of plumbing work by an apprentice; and
- certify plumbing work and submit notices to the Plumbers Licensing Board (the Board).
Eligibility for a plumbing contractor’s licence
To be eligible for a plumbing contractor’s licence you must already hold a tradesperson’s licence and have a statement of competency from a registered training organisation as a water supply plumber, sanitary plumber or drainage plumber.
How to apply
All applications must be made on a fully completed application form which can be found here: Form 101 – application form.
Applications can be submitted:
- Online: Plumbing contractor licence online submission
- Post, or In Person;
If applying in person or by post your application also needs to be accompanied by a completed Application Payment Form
Details of how to apply in person or by post are included on the application form.
Should you have any queries regarding your application please contact 1300 489 099.
Each application is reviewed by Licensing Services staff and may be referred to the Plumbers Licensing Board if required.
Time frames for application processing
Most applications are determined within five weeks. You can assist us to keep processing times as low as possible by:
- Checking that you have attached all the required information, and have completed the application form in full, before submitting
- Submitting using the online option
- Allowing enough time for processing of your application before contacting us for an update.
Licensing officers will contact you if any additional information is needed to finalise your application.
Current application and licence fees for plumbers can be found in the fee schedule.
An application fee is payable at the time of lodging an application.
The application fee is non-refundable and GST is not payable.
If your application is unsuccessful the licence fee will automatically be refunded and posted to the address specified on the application form.
All licences are valid for three years from the date of approval.
Variations to a plumbing contractor’s licence
Plumbing contractor’s licences may be limited to one or more of the following types of work:
- water supply
Plumbing contractors can apply to have additional types of work added to their licence by completing the required training and providing statements of competency along with the application form: Form 98 – Amend types of work form
Share this page: