Provisional tradesperson's licence

This page is for: 

Regulations made under the Plumbers Licensing Act 1995 set out the licensing requirements for a provisional tradesperson’s licence.

Who needs a provisional tradesperson’s licence

A person undertaking plumbing work must hold a licence or permit.  The provisional tradesperson’s licence enables a plumber from a country other than Australia or New Zealand to complete localisation training and undertake plumbing work for up to a year.  It is expected that the holder of a provisional tradesperson’s licence will complete a Certificate III in Plumbing (Migrant Gap Training) to become eligible for a tradesperson’s licence.

A person with a provisional tradesperson’s licence is authorised to carry out plumbing work under the supervision of a licensed plumbing contractor or the holder of a tradesperson’s licence

Eligibility for a provisional tradesperson’s licence

To be eligible for a provisional tradesperson’s licence you must hold an Offshore Technical Skills Record that relates to the units of competency within Certificate III in Plumbing.

Offshore Technical Skills Record

To obtain an OTSR, plumbers trained overseas are required to complete an assessment to demonstrate their competencies in skill areas taken from the Certificate III in Plumbing or Certificate II in Drainage for those wishing to obtain a provisional tradesperson’s licence (drainage plumbing).  The OTSR lists the holder’s technical skills as demonstrated in the competency assessment.  Importantly, it also identifies any skills gaps that must be addressed through further training. A list of OTSR assessment service providers may be found on the Trades Recognition Australia website.

Alternative qualification

The Board is empowered to accept equivalent Western Australian qualifications.  If you have a different qualification to Offshore Technical Skills Record, the Board may accept your qualification as an equivalent qualification.

Migrant gap training

After the Board has granted a provisional tradesperson’s licence, the licence holder will need to complete Migrant Gap Training to be eligible to apply for a tradesperson’s licence.

To address the skill and knowledge gaps identified in their OTSR, overseas trained plumbers are generally required to complete the Certificate III in Plumbing (CPC32408 – Migrant Gap Training).  Please contact the two WA training providers, MPA Skills and South Metropolitan TAFE for information about Migrant Gap Training.

After completing Migrant Gap Training the provisional tradesperson may apply for a tradesperson’s licence.  

Applying for a provisional tradesperson’s licence

Apply for a provisional tradesperson’s licence by submitting:

  • a completed Form 104 – application form;
  • 100 points of identification;
  • two passport style photographs;
  • a current Australian National Police Clearance;
  • a copy of your Offshore Technical Skills Record; and
  • the application fee and licence fee shown on the application form.

After you have submitted your complete application

Licensing officers will assess your application on behalf of the Plumber’s Licensing Board.  Subject to the details of your application and the Board’s assessment guidelines an officer acting under delegation or the Board itself will determine your application.  You will be advised of the licensing decision.

More information

Download Form 104 – provisional tradesperson’s licence application form, which includes guidance on making your application.  Further information on obtaining a provisional tradesperson’s licence is also available by calling Licensing Services on 1300 489 099 or at

A guide to provisional tradespersons licences

Information on provisional licences

Click here to download the document

Last modified: