Type A gas appliances
A person shall not sell or hire any gas appliance or advertise any gas appliance for sale or hire in Western Australia unless the gas appliance is approved by the Director of Energy Safety, and is marked, stamped or labelled in the manner approved by the Director.
Type A appliances are domestic and commercial gas appliances listed in the table of regulation 42B of the Gas Standards (Gasfitting and Consumer Gas Installations) Regulations 1999.
Series or mass produced Type A gas appliances and components must be certified as approved for sale, hire or use in WA. Currently, the Australian Gas Association (AGA), SAI Global, IAPMO R&T Oceana, Global Mark and BSI Australia are recognised by the Director as competent bodies for the approval of gas appliances. Consequently, appliances certified under those appliance safety certification schemes are accepted for installation in this State, unless the recognition is revoked by publication in the Government Gazette.
Appliances not carrying such certification must be specifically approved by an inspector and have an approval badge attached. The latter approval is at the discretion of the Director and is generally granted for an interim period pending AGA, SAI Global, IAPMO R&T Oceana, Global Mark or BSI Australia certification. Independent Type A gas appliance inspectors designated by the Director are available to carry out certification of Type A gas appliances.
Lists of certified gas appliances can be viewed online at the follow websites:
- The Australian Gas Association: www.gas.asn.au
- SAI Global: www.saiglobal.com
- IAPMO R&T Oceana: www.iapmooceana.org
- Global-Mark: http://www.global-mark.com.au
- BSI Australia: www.bsigroup.com/en-au/
In general terms:
- Type A appliances will be assessed and tested to the appropriate Australian/New Zealand Standard (AS or AS/NZS) such as AS 4563 and AS/NZS 5263.
- Type B appliances are assessed against those requirements set out in AS 3814 and AS 1375.
- Mobile engines are required to comply and be identified as complying with AS/NZS 1425 for LP Gas for vehicles, AS/NZS 2739 for Natural Gas vehicles or AS 4983 for forklifts and industrial engines.
- Stationary engines are classified as Type B appliances.
Approval of Type A gas appliances
Information on how to obtain approval to sell, hire or use Type A (domestic or commercial) gas appliances in Western Australia
Independent Type A gas inspector
The Gas Standards (Gasfitting and Consumer Gas Installations) Regulations 1999 require that, to be installed in consumers gas installations in Western Australia, Type A appliances must be approved. Type A appliances may be:
- approved by recognised approval bodies;
- individually approved for such installation by an inspector; and
- marked with a badge to this effect.
Although the Director of Energy Safety designates inspectors, testing/certification is conducted on request by, and at cost to, consumers. Such inspectors provide their services on a fee-for-service basis.
Continued designation (i.e. authorisation) is subject to satisfactory performance of functions, which is audited from time to time by Building and Energy.
Following is a list of independent Type A gas appliance inspectors. Building and Energy cannot guarantee or be in any way responsible for the actions of these Inspectors or the nature or level of fees for their services.
Darren Strachan (GI038)
Strachan Plumbing & Gas
235 Forrest Street
Kalgoorlie WA 6430
Ph: (08) 9091 4460
Mob: 0412 325 157
Peter Godden (GI432)
PSG Gas Consultants
4 Millbrace Glen
Byford WA 6122
Ph: (08) 9525 0125
Mob: 0403 914 688
Henry Kowalewski (GI576)
Gas Appliance Approvals WA
Mob: 0439 990 871
Peter Farrell (GI594)
Gas Technology Services WA
Mob: 0407 361 917
Share this page: