Owner-builder application

Becoming an owner-builder

To become an owner-builder, you must first obtain owner-builder approval from the Building Commission, and then a building permit from your local government.

When applying you must show that you have sufficient knowledge of the duties and responsibilities involved in being an owner-builder to the Building Services Board. This can be done by completing an owner-builder course, being registered or licensed as a building industry professional/tradesperson in Western Australia, or having other relevant building industry qualifications or experience. 

To apply complete and submit an owner-builder approval application form and pay the application fee. Fees are updated on 1 July each year.

Form 75 – Owner-builder approval application

The guidelines and application forms required for becoming an owner-builder

Click here to download the publication

The approval process timeframe

Most owner-builder approval applications are determined within five weeks. The Building Commission will contact you if any further information is required to process your application. You will be notified as soon as a decision regarding your application has been made.

Restrictions on building as an owner-builder

Once your owner-builder approval has been issued, you must apply for a building permit from your local permit authority within six months. If you do not, your owner-builder approval will expire. 

Owner-builders can only be issued with a building permit once every six years. If you have been issued with a building permit by the local government within the last six years, it is an offence to declare that you have not.

The Board has the discretion to waive the six year restriction. A waiver is only granted in circumstances where significant hardship would be suffered if the request was refused, or the new building permit will be for the same property and owners as the previously granted permit/licence. You must apply to the Board for a waiver.

Application to the Board for a waiver

For approval to obtain another building permit without the requirement for home indemnity insurance, complete the “Request for waiver” form and submit to the Building Commission. You may submit the request before or as part of an application for owner-builder approval.

Owner-builder request for waiver

The guidelines and form required to request for a waiver

Click here to download the publication

Share this page:

Last modified: