Regulations made under the Plumbers Licensing Act 1995 set out the licensing requirements for a plumbing contractor’s licence.
Who needs a plumbing contractor’s licence
Anyone for intends to undertake plumbing work must first hold a licence to carry out that work. A plumbing contractor is authorised to:
- carry out the plumbing work specified on the contractor’s licence;
- exercise general direction and control over the carrying out of authorised work by the holder of a tradesperson's licence or a provisional tradesperson’s licence;
- supervise the carrying out of plumbing work by an apprentice; and
- certify plumbing work and submit notices to the Plumbers Licensing Board (the Board).
Variations to a plumbing contractor’s licence
The Board may issue plumbing contractor’s licenses in types of plumbing work combinations of the following:
- water supply plumbing work, sanitary plumbing work and drainage plumbing work; or
- water supply plumbing work and sanitary plumbing work; or
- water supply plumbing work and drainage plumbing work; or
- water supply plumbing work; or
- drainage plumbing work; or
- sanitary plumbing work and drainage plumbing work.
Eligibility for a plumbing contractor’s licence
To be eligible for a plumbing contractor’s licence you must already hold a tradesperson’s licence and have a statement of competency from a registered training organisation, as a water supply plumber, sanitary plumber or drainage plumber.
Applying for a plumbing contractor’s licence
To apply for a plumbing contractor’s licence you must complete the application form, and submit your completed application to the Building Commission along with your supporting documentation and applicable fees.
Each application is thoroughly reviewed by Building Commission staff and may be individually considered by the Plumbers Licensing Board.
Form 101 – application form
Time frame for application processing
Most plumbing contractor applications are determined within five weeks. Please assist by submitting all the information required in your application and allow sufficient time for it to be fully assessed.
Applying to amend an existing plumbing contractor’s licence
Should a currently licensed plumbing contractor complete further training and obtain statements of competency in additional types of plumbing work they can apply to amend their licence.
Form 98 – Amend types of work form
Download the plumbing contractor’s licence application form above, which includes guidance on making your application. Further information on obtaining a plumbing contractor’s licence is also available from Licensing Services on 1300 489 099 or email@example.com.