Authorised witnesses

Some licence applications, or documents required in support of an application, are required to be signed or certified by an authorised witness. This should be done in accordance with the Department of Justice’s Information Fact Sheet 3 (PDF) available. You may find more helpful information from their Find a Justice of the Peace in your area page.

Professions listed as authorised witnesses by the Oaths, Affidavits and Statutory Declarations Act 2005 include:

  • Academic (post-secondary institution)
  • Accountant 
  • Architect 
  • Australian Consular Officer 
  • Australian Diplomatic Officer 
  • Bailiff 
  • Bank Manager 
  • Chartered secretary 
  • Chemist 
  • Chiropractor 
  • Company auditor or liquidator 
  • Court officer (Judge, magistrate, registrar or clerk)
  • Defence Force officer
  • Dentist
  • Doctor
  • Electorate Officer (State – WA only)
  • Engineer
  • Industrial organisation secretary
  • Insurance broker
  • Justice of the Peace (any State)
  • Lawyer
  • Local government CEO or deputy CEO
  • Local government councillor
  • Loss adjuster
  • Marriage Celebrant
  • Member of Parliament (State or Commonwealth)
  • Minister of religion
  • Nurse
  • Optometrist
  • Patent Attorney
  • Physiotherapist
  • Podiatrist
  • Police officer
  • Post Officer Manager
  • Psychologist
  • Public Notary
  • Public Servant (State or Commonwealth)
  • Real Estate agent
  • Settlement agent
  • Sheriff or deputy Sheriff
  • Surveyor
  • Teacher
  • Tribunal officer
  • Veterinary surgeon
  • an authorised person under the Commonwealth Statutory Declarations Act 1959

For further information

Further information about witnessing and certifying documents and the formal description of the professions that are authorised witnesses under the Oaths, Affidavits and Statutory Declarations Act 2005 is available from the Department of Justice.

Last modified: