Application to carry out electrical installing work for self or immediate family

Fact sheet - Electrical installing work for self or family

The Regulations

In Western Australia, the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 provide that electrical work may only be carried out by persons with an electrician’s licence, as issued by the Electrical Licensing Board of Western Australia.  The purpose of the regulations is to ensure safety for electrical workers and end users of electricity in Western Australia.

Who is ‘The Board’?

The Electrical Licensing Board is appointed by the Minister for Commerce, in accordance with the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991The Board’s function is to determine the competence of applicants for, and holders of, licences and permits issued under the licensing regulations.  The board can approve electrical workers for an exemption from the need to hold a contractor’s licence.

What type of work can I apply to carry out?

A licensed electrical worker can gain an exemption from the need to hold an electrical contractor’s licence to carry out electrical installing work on domestic premises owned, leased or occupied by the electrician or his/her immediate family, for no gain or reward, if they meet the following requirements.

The licensed electrical worker must be the holder of a Western Australian electrician’s licence.

Immediate relatives are those classified as follows:

  • Husband or wife
  • Son or daughter
  • Brother or sister
  • De facto (an electrician living in a de facto relationship must provide proof they are living at the domestic premises)
  • Parent
  • Grandparent
  • Grandchildren
  • Father/Mother-in-law
  • Son/Daughter-in-law
  • Brother/Sister-in-law

The electrical installing work must NOT be carried out for monetary gain or reward.

How do I make application to the Board?

  1. Complete the appropriate application form as provided for by Building and Energy.
  2. Provide documentary evidence confirming proof of ownership of the property where the electrical work is to be carried out e.g. land title deed, building contract, rates notice etc.

Once approval is granted, a preliminary notice/notice of completion will be issued for “notifiable work” for submission to the relevant electricity network operator or approval will be given to carry out electrical installing work where notices are not required.

“Notifiable work” means electrical installing work other than:

  1. maintenance work, unless that work requires the disconnection and reconnection of the supply of electricity to the electrical installation concerned or the replacement of service apparatus;
  2. the alteration of a final sub-circuit; or
  3. the addition of a single final sub-circuit.

Where do I send my application?

Postal Address:

Building and Energy
Licensing Office
Locked Bag 100
East Perth  WA  6892

In Person:

Building and Energy
Level 1, 303 Sevenoaks Street (Entrance Grose Avenue)
Cannington WA  6107

Office Hours:  8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday



Building and Energy
Form – application
Last updated 19 Jul 2019

Share this page:

Last modified: