Application for exemption from compliance with the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act
Who can apply for an exemption
You may be eligible to apply for an exemption from compliance with the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973 under section 31(1) of the Act, if you fit one of the following categories:
- Financier (MF) - you ordinarily dispose of vehicles which you have repossessed, directly to a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
- Car Hire Operator (MH) - the buying and selling of vehicles does not comprise a significant part of your business as a car hire operator and that you ordinarily dispose of vehicles bought in the course of your car hire business directly to a licensed motor vehicle dealer
- Auctioneer (MA) - the selling of vehicles by auction does not comprise a significant part of your business as an auctioneer and you I agree that you will not sell vehicles which are owned by trade owners (licensed motor vehicle dealers, finance companies or hire car companies).
What do I need to lodge a complete application
This application can be processed only after all relevant information and supporting documentation is submitted as follows:
- Complete all of the relevant sections of the correct application form.
- Attach/pay the correct fee. This is payable at the time of lodging the application.
- Sign the authorisation and declaration section of the form. This applies to all directors/partners or the sole trader.
Should you require assistance with completing the application, please contact the Licensing Branch by telephone on 1300 304 064 (within Australia) or email email@example.com.
Consumer Protection sends courtesy renewal reminders to licensees. These reminders are sent electronically (via sms and email) so it is important that you inform Consumer Protection of your most up to date contact details.
The fees and forms page contains further details about:
- how to lodge your application;
- relevant fees;
- other licensing forms; and
- how to contact us.
Share this page: