Application for exemption from compliance with the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act

This publication is for: 
Motor industry

Who can apply for an exemption

You may be eligible to apply for an exemption from compliance with the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973 under section 31(1), if you fit one of the following categories:

  • Financier (MF) - you ordinarily dispose of vehicles which you have repossessed, directly to a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
  • Car Hire Operator (MH) - the buying and selling of vehicles does not comprise a significant part of your business as a car hire operator and you ordinarily dispose of vehicles bought in the course of your car hire business directly to a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
  • Auctioneer (MA) - the selling of vehicles by auction does not comprise a significant part of your business as an auctioneer and you agree you will not sell vehicles which are owned by trade owners (licensed motor vehicle dealers, finance companies or hire car companies).

What do I need to lodge a complete application

This application can be processed only after all relevant information and supporting documentation is submitted as follows:

  • Complete all of the relevant sections of the correct application form.
  • Attach/pay the correct fee. This is payable at the time of lodging the application.
  • Sign the authorisation and declaration section of the form. This applies to all directors/partners or the sole trader.

Should you require assistance with completing the application, please contact the Licensing Branch by telephone on 1300 30 40 64 (within Australia) or email

How to submit your application

Once you have completed the application form and have all of your supporting documents ready, you can lodge your application in one of three ways:

Online  By Post In person (including payments
Lodge and pay for your application

If you are submitting your application by post and are making payment by credit card, you must also complete the Application Payment Form and attach it to your application. Applications received without payment cannot be accepted.

Post to:

Licensing Services
Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Locked Bag 100

Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 4:30pm

Customer Service
Level 1, Mason Bird Building
303 Sevenoaks Street


Electronic communication

Consumer Protection sends courtesy renewal reminders to licensees. These reminders are sent electronically (via sms and email) so it is important you inform Consumer Protection of your most up to date contact details.

The fees and forms page contains further details about:

  • how to lodge your application;
  • relevant fees; 
  • other licensing forms; and 
  • how to contact us.
Consumer Protection
Form – application
Last updated 04 Dec 2023

Last modified: