Application for a motor vehicle dealer licence

This publication is for: 
Motor industry

Who needs to apply for a licence

Anyone who carries on any class or description of the business of buying or selling vehicles in Western Australia is required to be licensed as a dealer under the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973.

This includes a business consisting of buying vehicles for wrecking, financing, auctioning or hiring.

The types of vehicles for which a person must hold a motor vehicle dealer’s licence to buy or sell includes:

  • passenger vehicles
  • commercial vehicles
  • motorcycles/scooters
  • caravans/camper trailers
  • trucks/utes
  • campervans
  • four wheel drive vehicles

What do I need to complete an application

To apply for a licence you must complete the application form and provide all relevant supporting documentation as follows:

  • complete all of the relevant sections of the application form
  • attach/pay the correct fee
  • provide the relevant Police Check/s, not more than 3 months old
  • attach the Dealer/Yard Manager Licence Requirements Course Certificate
  • attach a simple statement of your assets, liabilities and net worth
  • sign the authorisation and declaration 
  • all directors/partners sign the authority and declaration
  • check to make sure that the application form is complete and that you have provided all relevant supporting documents

Lodging your application

The application fee/s is payable at the time of lodging this application.

The fees and forms page contains further details about:

  • how to lodge your application;
  • relevant fees; 
  • other licensing forms; and 
  • how to contact us.
Consumer Protection
Form – application
Last updated 02 Jul 2018

Share this page:

Last modified: