This publication is a summary of pay and entitlements for award free employees.
Unpaid pandemic leave and COVID-19 annual leave flexibilities introduced
New provisions have been implemented through the COVID-19 General Order issued by the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission to assist private sector employers and employees address the impacts of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic on their workplaces.
These new provisions apply to award free employers and employees, and are effective from 14 April 2020 and apply until 31 July 2020 (unless extended).
Detailed information on these new provisions is available on the Employment impacted by the COVID-19 coronavirus page.
This publication has been updated to include these new provisions.
State system COVID-19 JobKeeper provisions now in place
Temporary state system JobKeeper provisions have been introduced for private sector state system employers and employees who are participating in the Commonwealth JobKeeper scheme. These provisions were implemented by the COVID-19 JobKeeper General Order issued by the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission on 15 May 2020 and apply from 15 May 2020 until 28 September 2020, unless extended.
The state system JobKeeper provisions allow employers to give certain directions to employees and make certain requests of them, including provisions that allow employers to:
- issue a ‘JobKeeper enabling direction’ to temporarily alter or reduce an employee’s working hours (which may be reduced to nil), change an employee’s duties and change their location of work; and
- request that an employee change their days/times of work.
There are a range of specific rules and requirements about the state system JobKeeper provisions. The State system COVID-19 JobKeeper provisions page has detailed information on the provisions and the rules and requirements.
This publication has been updated to include the new state system JobKeeper provisions.
The pay rates in this award free summary apply from the first pay period on or after 1 July 2019. To view pay rates for previous years visit the Previous WA award summaries - pre 1 July 2019 page.
This award free summary outlines the minimum rates of pay and entitlements for award free employees, including apprentices and trainees, in the state industrial relations system. It covers businesses which operate as:
- sole traders (e.g. Jane Smith trading as Jane’s Beauty)
- unincorporated partnerships (e.g. Jane and Bob Smith trading as Jane’s Beauty)
- unincorporated trust arrangements (Jane and Bob Smith as trustees for Jane’s Beauty)
This summary does not cover businesses and organisations in the national industrial relations system which operate as:
- Pty Ltd businesses that are trading or financial corporations (e.g. Smith Pty Ltd trading as Jane’s Beauty)
- incorporated associations and other not-for-profit bodies (that are trading or financial corporations)
If the business or organisation is in the national system visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website.