Boarders and Lodgers - Your rights and responsibilites

Boarders and lodgers - a guide to your rights and responsibilities

The purpose of this brochure is to help boarders and lodgers understand their rights and responsibilities. This fact sheet provides useful tips on how to avoid problems with landlords and if problems do arise, where to get advice.


Topics include:

  • Am I a boarder, lodger, tenant or sub-tenant?
  • If I am renting a room from an existing tenant am I a sub-tenant or lodger?
  • What if I am offered a place to stay by my employer?
  • Who is a landlord?
  • What are my rights as a boarder or lodger?
  • What are my responsibilities as a boarder or lodger?
  • What should I do before I move in?
  • What condition is the property in?
  • Ending the agreement
  • What is ‘reasonable notice’?
  • Do I need to give any notice before I move out?
  • Where can I get advice or help to solve a problem?

For more information and general advice:

Consumer Protection Advice Line: 1300 304 054

8.30 am – 4.30 pm Mon, Tue, Wed and Fri

9.00 am – 4.30 pm Thurs



For legal advice you can call the Legal Aid Infoline on 1300 650 579 or visit

Circle Green Community Legal (the new home of Tenancy WA): (08) 9221 3636 or 1800 621 888 (for country callers) or visit

Consumer Protection
Last updated 18 Feb 2021

Share this page:

Last modified: