Did you know the Department of Commerce can provide your business with information and advice on trading, employment and safety at work?
Use this checklist to help identify where the department may be able to assist you.
Protecting consumers – Consumer Protection
- Are you aware of your obligations under the Fair Trading Act?
- Do you know what a consumer’s rights are when they buy from you?
- Do you know how to deal with customer complaints?
- Does your business have a refund policy sign?
- Are you packaging goods for sale or selling pre-packed articles?
The Consumer Protection Division provides advice and publications that can assist businesses to meet their obligations under consumer protection laws.Look under Consumer Protection here, or contact our advice line on 1300 30 40 54.
Promoting fair employment – Labour Relations
- Do you employ anyone?
- Do you know what employment arrangements are covered by Federal or State legislation?
- Are you aware of the legal requirements for employees’ pay and working conditions?
- Are you aware of time and wages record keeping requirements?
- Are you aware of the requirements when terminating employees?
The Labour Relations Division can assist with information, training, advice and publications on employment matters.For answers to your questions, visit Labour Relations on this site, or contact Wageline on 1300 655 266.
Promoting safe work – WorkSafe
- Do you need work safety and health advice specific to your industry?
- Do you need safety and health advice on a particular hazard in your workplace?
- Do you need a free independent and confidential safety assessment of your workplace?
- Do you need help to create your own safety and health management system in your workplace?
- Do you know where to go for further advice or assistance with occupational safety and health in your small business?
The WorkSafe Division promotes occupational safety and health (OSH) in workplaces.For information on a wide range of industry specific and general safety and health topics, visit WorkSafe on this site.The ThinkSafe Small Business Assistance Program can further assist small businesses by providing
individual assessments of your workplace and materials to create your own OSH management system.
Promoting safe use of electricity and gas – EnergySafety
- Do you employ electricians or gas workers?
- Do you manufacture, import or sell electrical or gas equipment or appliances?
The EnergySafety Division regulates the technical and safety aspects of electricity and gas distribution and use by consumers. EnergySafety also licenses
electrical contractors, electricians and gas workers.For assistance, contact EnergySafety on 9422 5200, or visit EnergySafety on this site.
Facilitating business sector development – Industry and Innovation
- Are you looking for a Western Australian supplier?
- Do you need help to commercialise a new product?
- Would you like to access the Buy WA First logo?
- Do you need to increase your opportunities to access major public and private sector resource and development projects?
The Industry and Innovation Division plays a key role in promoting and supporting innovation and facilitating industry and business development in
Western Australia. For more information, contact Industry and Innovation on 1300 136 237 or visit Industry and Innovation on this site.