Can I lodge a building service complaint?

As part of its function, Building and Energy provides an avenue for both consumers and builders to resolve disputes relating to workmanship issues in connection with a regulated building services and home building work contracts. These services are provided to parties as an alternative to the commencement of court proceedings. Building and Energy is impartial to the proceedings and may conduct an independent inspection of the items of complaint as part of the process. Building and Energy’s decisions are legally enforceable.

This checklist provides preliminary guidance as to whether you will be eligible to lodge a complaint. Building and Energy can provide you with further guidance on the requirements and the process by phoning 1300 489 099 or emailing

Building and Energy
Fact sheet
Last updated 22 Oct 2021

Last modified: