Don't forget to have your say on retirement village law reforms - Retirement villages bulletin 15
16 July 2021
Don't forget to have your say on retirement village law reforms
You have until 21 July 2021 to have your say on retirement village law reforms. Consultation Regulatory Impact Statement 4 (CRIS 4) was issued in early June and builds on previous discussion generated through CRIS 1 to 3.
This final CRIS 4 includes:
- Proposals for a process to manage significant changes to a village.
- Improving protections for consumers in “off the plan sales” and leases.
- Clarifying when the Retirement Villages Act 1992 (WA) applies to aged care residential facilities.
CRIS 4 also seeks feedback on issues relating to dispute resolution, strata title retirement villages, building defects, insurance, and the provision of home care services in retirement villages. Watch the video and read the CRIS papers to find out more.
What has happened so far in the consultation process?
- In 2020, we held meetings with industry and resident representatives to discuss possible reforms for fast-tracking. While useful discussions occurred, no reforms will be fast tracked separately and public consultation is now continuing through CRIS 4.
- CRIS 2 proposed the introduction of a time limit on how long residents must wait for exit payments. Based on the information we received through community consultation, we are now working with the WA Treasury Corporation to assess the financial impact of such a reform. The outcome of this process will inform our recommendations to the WA Government.
Make your opinion count
Your feedback is important to this process. We thank everyone who has already made a submission.
If you haven’t already done so, please read CRIS 4 and provide us with your comments. To help with your response, you can request a Word document with the consultation questions by emailing email@example.com.
You can choose to provide your views on as much of CRIS 4 as you like. In fact, you can also provide your views on any of the past CRIS documents.
Please send your submissions or questions about the retirement village law reforms to us by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Retirement Villages Consultation, Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety - Consumer Protection Division, Locked Bag 100, East Perth WA 6892
- Telephone: 1300 304 054
If you think residents at your village would like to have their say about the consultation, please feel free to print this fact sheet and place it on your notice board.
The WA Government will receive the recommendations for reform by the end of 2021.
This bulletin contains general information obtained from internal and external sources to the Western Australian Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. While we use our best endeavours to ensure the information is correct and current at the time of publication, changes in circumstances after that time may impact upon the accuracy of the material. The department takes no responsibility for any error, omission or defect therein. It is your responsibility to ensure the information is still correct when applying it to your situation in the future, including seeking independent professional advice.
Share this page: