Forms required for accessing a tenanted property: Landlord bulletin issue 25

This publication is for: 
Property industry

Landlords must use specific forms to notify tenants of their intention to enter the property.

Form 19 Notice of proposed entry to premises must be used to give written notice if you intend to enter the premises for one of the following reasons:

  • to conduct a routine inspection;
  • to inspect or carry out necessary repairs or maintenance;
  • to show the premises to prospective tenants or buyers; and
  • any other purposes not covered by the other specified access categories.

Form 19 identifies the required periods of notice for each type of access.

You do not need to negotiate the proposed time and date with the tenant before providing the notice. However, if the tenant advises the proposed time and date is inconvenient, you must make a reasonable effort to negotiate a more suitable time and date.

Form 12 Notice to tenant of abandonment of premises must be used if you have reasonable grounds to suspect a tenant has abandoned the premises and would like to enter the property to secure it. You must deliver the notice by leaving copies at the property and the tenant’s last known place of employment.

Read more about abandoned rental properties and goods.

When using these forms, allow enough time for the specified period of notice plus time for delivery to ensure you serve the form correctly.

If you correctly issued either of these notices and the tenant does not raise any concern with the proposed entry, it would be reasonable for you to proceed with the access under the terms of the notice.

There are a few cases in which written notice is not required. These are:

  • in case of emergency;
  • to collect rent if the tenancy agreement specifies rent will collected in person; or
  • if the tenant gives consent at or immediately before time of entry.

Visit our website for more information.

Rules for portable pools

Did you know fencing laws can apply to inflatable and other portable pools?

Young children can drown in a portable pool in a matter of seconds if left unsupervised. That’s why we’re asking landlords to help us spread the word. Make sure your tenants are aware of the dangers and know the rules.

Portable pools that hold more than 30cm of water must be enclosed by a suitable safety barrier, and should be emptied and put away after each use - regardless of water depth.

More information about portable swimming pool safety is available on our website.

If you have a built in pool or spa in your rental property, check out the Building Commission publication Rules for pools and spas for detailed information on pool barrier requirements, including helpful diagrams.

Consumer Protection
Last updated 21 Nov 2018

Last modified: