A guide to restricted plumbing permits

This publication is for: 

Who can obtain a restricted plumbing permit?

Only licensed electrical workers and licensed gas fitters are eligible to obtain a restricted plumbing permit. Applicants for a restricted plumbing permit will be required to satisfy the Plumbers Licensing Board (the Board) that he or she is a ‘fit and proper person’ to hold a restricted plumbing permit and have successfully completed the necessary training approved by the Board. The current training required is successful completion of the unit of competency Exchange and Commission Water Heater Systems.

Scope of work authorised under a restricted plumbing permit

There are two criteria for determining the type of plumbing work permitted to be carried out by the holder of a restricted plumbing permit.

Criteria 1

The plumbing work to be carried out must only be in the course of:

a. removing a water heater; or
b. removing and reinstalling a water heater; or
c. replacing a water heater.

Criteria 2

The work to be carried out is limited to disconnecting, removing, installing and reconnecting:

a. a compression union;
b. a temperature/pressure relief valve; or
c. an expansion control valve.

All work performed by a restricted plumbing permit holder must be in accordance with the relevant Australian Standard, generally AS/NZS 3500:4 – Plumbing and drainage: Heated water services.

However, it must be noted that a restricted plumbing permit does not authorise the holder to carry out any work if:

a. a change to the existing pipes is required;
b. the existing pipes are not in safe and proper working order;
c. the temperature/pressure relief valve overflow pipe does not comply with the plumbing standards; or
d. the use of a flexible hose connection is required.

Requirement to notify the Board of plumbing work

Removing, removing and reinstalling, or replacing a water heater is considered major plumbing work. This means that the responsible person for the work, in this instance the restricted plumbing permit holder, must submit a Notice of Intention to the Plumbers Licensing Board at least 24 hours prior to any work being undertaken.

When the work is completed, the restricted plumbing permit holder who lodged the Notice of Intention for the work must submit a Certificate of Compliance within five working days of completing the work.

Notices of Intention and Certificates of Compliance can be lodged electronically via eNotice or:

By post
Plumbers Licensing Board
Locked Bag 100
East Perth WA 6892

In person
Building and Energy
Level 1, Mason Bird Building
303 Sevenoaks Street (entrance Grose Avenue)
Cannington WA 6107

Actions that may be taken against restricted plumbing permit holders

Plumbing inspectors regularly inspect plumbing work in Western Australia. In addition, Building and Energy will act on any complaints received about plumbing work. Action may be taken against the restricted plumbing permit holder where they are found to have:

  • performed work that is not in accordance with the relevant plumbing standards;
  • performed work outside the scope of work for a restricted plumbing permit holder; or
  • failed to appropriately notify the Plumbers Licensing Board of plumbing work.

This action may include:

  • issuing a rectification notice;
  • issuing an infringement notice; or
  • referring the restricted plumbing permit holder to the State Administrative Tribunal for disciplinary action, which may include suspension or cancellation of the restricted plumbing permit.

Please note that while licensed electrical workers or licensed gas fitters who also hold a plumbing tradesperson’s licence may be eligible for a restricted plumbing permit, any plumbing work outside the scope of work for a restricted plumbing permit must be performed under the general direction and control of a licensed plumbing contractor.

Further information

For further information, please contact Building and Energy on 1300 489 099 or email be.info@dmirs.wa.gov.au.

Building and Energy
Fact sheet
Last updated 18 Sep 2019

Last modified: