House to house collections and telephone marketing

This publication is for: 
Not for profitConsumerLicence holders

Organisations licensed under the Charitable Collections Act 1946 are entitled to visit a house to collect money or sell goods for a charitable purpose. All appeals must be authorised by the governing body of the charitable organisation or by an officer authorised by the governing body.

When can I collect?

The times that you are allowed to collect or sell goods for a charitable purpose are:

  • Monday to Saturday between 9 am and 6 pm
  • Sundays and Public Holidays - no collections are allowed without the approval of the Commissioner for Consumer Protection.

What do I require when collecting?

People making an appeal or selling goods on behalf of your organisation must conduct themselves in a professional manner. In particular, collectors are not to behave in an intimidatory or offensive way toward householders. This type of conduct reflects poorly on the charitable organisation conducting the appeal.

Collectors must wear consecutively numbered identification badges stating the name of the collecting organisation, the name of the collector and specifying the period of the authority to collect. Collectors must show their numbered identification badge when requesting donations or selling goods. Collectors must issue a receipt for all donations received and goods sold. All receipts must be consecutively numbered and bear the name and address of the organisation collected for. Collecting boxes must bear the name of the charitable organisation for which the appeal is being made.

Can collectors be paid?

Collectors can be either volunteers or paid collectors. Your organisation should ensure that the collector is aware of the above requirements when collecting house to house. The amount of remuneration to be paid to the collector is an issue between the collector and the employing organisation. Some factors that your organisation may consider when employing collectors:

  • Is the collector of good character? In some circumstances it may be necessary to ask the collector to supply a Police Clearance Certificate before employing the collector. 
  • Is the collector to be paid a wage or a commission? 
  • Who is responsible for paying worker’s compensation insurance and public liability insurance? 
  • Is the collector entitled to receive annual leave or sick leave? 
  • Is the collector entitled to superannuation? 
  • Are there appropriate internal controls over the receipting of money and control of stock sold by the collector?

Can children collect house to house?

Children under the age of sixteen are not allowed to collect house to house without the approval of the Commissioner for Consumer Protection. Approval will not be given for primary school aged children to participate in an appeal.


If you wish to raise funds for a charitable purpose by the sale of raffle tickets, lotteries or gaming activities you will require a charitable collections licence. You may also require a permit from the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries – Racing, Gaming and Liquor.

For further information on permits for raffles, lotteries and gaming activities please visit the Racing, Gaming and Liquor website: or phone (08) 6551 4888.

Telephone marketing

Charitable organisations may solicit donations or market goods to the public by way of telephone marketing.

What hours may telephone marketers call?

Monday to Saturday
Collectors can contact a member of the public by telephone to solicit donations or market goods between the hours of 9 am and 8 pm.

Sundays and Public Holidays
No telephone marketing is allowed without the approval of Commissioner for Consumer Protection.

Street Collections

Any organisation wanting to conduct a street collection in the Perth metropolitan area, whether or not licensed, under the Charitable Collections Act 1946, must have a separate street collection permit. Street collections conducted under the Street Collections (Regulations) Act 1940 are generally held on a Friday unless otherwise approved by the Commissioner for Consumer Protection. Collectors cannot be paid for participating in a street collection.

Applications and further information

Application forms for street collections and further information about house to house collections and telephone marketing can be obtained from:

Charitable Collections Licensing section
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Consumer Protection

Gordon Stephenson House
Level 2, 140 William Street
Perth, Western Australia 6000
Telephone: (08) 6552 9364
Hours: 8.30am - 5.00pm

Consumer Protection
Last updated 23 Nov 2018

Share this page:

Last modified: