Learn about PCRs: Tenants' bulletin issue 2

This publication is for: 

4 December 2018

Your property condition report is critical to your tenancy

At the start and end of every tenancy your landlord or property manager will provide you with a property condition report (PCR). If you don’t watch out, it might cost you your bond or even more money besides

PCRs are important as they confirm the property’s condition at the start of your tenancy, and can help with possible disputes about damage when you move out.

Carefully check the report, note anything you think is not accurate and return a copy. Instructions and important information will be included with the form.

Read on for some of our key tips.

Timing matters

Your landlord or property manager must complete a PCR and provide you with two copies within seven days of you moving in. You then have seven days to review it, make notes on both copies and return one to the landlord or property manager.

At the end of your tenancy, your landlord or property manager has 14 days to inspect the property, prepare a ‘moving out’ PCR, and provide you with a copy.

Be thorough

Make sure everything is accounted for on the PCR. It’s important that you and your landlord or property manager agree about any damage or required maintenance. Even if you don’t agree, make sure you document it on the PCR.

Photograph everything

Take photos of everything at the start and end of your tenancy. This can avoid confusion about whether something was damaged during the tenancy or before you moved in. It may be the proof you need to protect your bond.

Attend inspections

You have the right to be present for rent inspections and at the final inspection at the end of the tenancy. It’s in your best interest to attend these, so make the effort to be there if you can.

What if your landlord hasn't given you a PCR?

Contact your landlord or property manager if they have not provided you with the starting or ending PCR within the required timeframe.

If they refuse or do not provide you with the PCRs, or there are problems with the PCR, you can also lodge a complaint with Consumer Protection or ultimately issue them with a breach notice.

Call Consumer Protection on 1300 304 054 or email for guidance.

Tenancy info and tools in your pocket

Bookmark the Tenants' Guide and get the iRentWA app for Android and iOS.

July 2020: Please note the iRentWA app is no longer supported. The Renting a home section of this website continues to be WA consumers’ go-to place for all renting information. 

Consumer Protection
Last updated 17 Jul 2020

Last modified: