Licensing reminders: annual fee increases, police check timeframes, and updating your information - Real estate industry bulletin issue 245

This publication is for: 
Property industry

30 June 2021

Increase to licensing fees

From 1 July 2021 some of Consumer Protection’s licence and registration fees will be increasing. Information about the different fees is available on our licence fees and forms page. Applications received from 1 July 2021 will be charged at the relevant new fee rate.

Delays in obtaining national police checks affect your application

Consumer Protection is aware delays in obtaining a national police check from third-party providers have affected the ability of some industry members to submit a complete application, resulting in existing licences and registrations lapsing.

It’s important that applicants plan ahead with their renewal applications.

You should allow sufficient time for us to process your complete application before your triennial certificate or registrations expires. This will ensure you always have a valid certificate under which to operate.

We suggest allowing at least between six to eight weeks to obtain a police check from third-party providers. Remember, these police checks are valid for up to three months. So you can start the process of obtaining a police check at least two months before submitting your complete licensing application.

To help reduce any potential delays in processing your licensing application, use one of the 26 approved providers to obtain your check. The list of approved providers and check types are available on our website.

Update your licensing information

Further to bulletin issue 243, Consumer Protection reminds you of your obligations to notify us of any changes to your contact information, your employment situation, or to your real estate industry business.

Changes to directors or partners

You must notify the Commissioner for Consumer Protection in writing of any changes to the directors or partners of your company or business within one month of the change occurring. You can advise the change by email. Each new director or partner will need to provide a national police check.

Change of premises

Before you commence operating from new premises, you must notify the Commissioner in writing of the intention to relocate and receive approval to trade from the new premises. You can advise the change by email.

Changes to your contact details

As a courtesy, we send licensing renewal reminders via text message and email, using the contact information that you have registered with us. If your registered details are not current, you will not receive these reminders. You can notify the Commissioner of changes to your contact details by email.

Change of employment

Remember to send any changes of employment for you, or your staff, to the Commissioner by email.

Registration of business name

It is important to ensure the details of your business name, also known as a trading name, are current and correctly registered. Visit the Australian Securities and Investments Commission website to check the status of your business name or contact ASIC for assistance.

More information

If you have any queries regarding the fees or changes to your details, contact Consumer Protection’s licensing branch on 1300 304 064 or by email.




This bulletin contains general information obtained from internal and external sources to the Western Australian Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. While we use our best endeavours to ensure the information is correct and current at the time of publication, changes in circumstances after that time may impact upon the accuracy of the material. It is your responsibility to ensure the information is still correct when applying it to your situation in the future, including seeking independent professional advice. More information is available on our Disclaimer page.

Consumer Protection
Last updated 04 Dec 2023

Last modified: