Motor vehicle repair business - New application - Partnership or body corp

This publication is for: 
Licence holdersMotor industry

Who needs to apply for a licence 

Anyone who operates a business that includes repairing or servicing motor vehicles is required to hold a Motor Vehicle Repair Business licence under the Motor Vehicle Repairers Act 2003. However, business owners must also hold an individual Repairer’s Certificate issued by Consumer Protection in order to do repair work personally. 

Are you an individual/sole trader wanting to apply for a repair business licence?

Please use the Motor vehicle repair business - New application - Individual form.


What do I need to do to lodge a complete application

To apply for a licence you must lodge a complete application. This means you must:

  • Complete all of the relevant sections of the application form, including the simple statement of your assets, liabilities and net worth section.
  • Attach/pay the correct feeThis is payable at the time of lodging the application.
  • Provide the relevant Police Check(s), which are not more than three (3) months old at the time of lodgement, for all partners/directors or the sole trader. Only Police Checks issued by our list of approved providers will be accepted.
  • Meet the requirements for obtaining a repair business licence.
  • Sign the authorisation and declaration section of the form. This applies to all directors/partners or the sole trader.
  • Check to make sure that the application form is complete and that you have provided all relevant supporting documents. Incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be returned to you.

Certified copies of supporting documents will be accepted and original documents will not be returned. A list of occupations that are authorised to certify documents can be found on our Authorised witness page.

Should you require assistance with completing the application, please contact the Licensing Branch by telephone on 1300 304 064 (within Australia) or email

Electronic communication

Consumer Protection sends courtesy renewal reminders to licensees. These reminders are sent electronically (via sms and email) so it is important that you inform Consumer Protection of your most up to date contact details.

The fees and forms page contains further details about:

  • how to lodge your application;
  • relevant fees; 
  • other licensing forms; and 
  • how to contact us.
Consumer Protection
Form – registration
Last updated 27 Sep 2022

Share this page:

Last modified: