New tenancy resources, eCourts Portal and Home Buyers Assistance Account grant - Tenants bulletin issue 8

This publication is for: 

New family and domestic violence tenancy resources

Flowcharts for tenants

If a tenant wants to leave a rented property due to family and domestic violence there are certain procedures that tenants and landlords must follow. To help you navigate the process, we’ve created flowcharts that step through what happens at each stage and how to count days to ensure required deadlines are met.

There are two tenant versions available: 

Safe Tenancy WA video now available in Chinese

Consumer Protection has released a Chinese version of our popular animated explainer video outlining recent changes to Western Australia tenancy laws related to family and domestic violence. 

The Safe Tenancy WA – Chinese version video is relevant to tenants, landlords, property managers or real estate agents, and community workers in WA. 

Have yet to see the original version in English? Not to worry, it’s always available on the Consumer Protection YouTube channel

Faster and easier Court orders with the eCourts Portal of Western Australia

Did you know you can lodge Court Residential Tenancy dispute applications online? Use the eCourts Portal of Western Australia to take advantage of new features designed so that you receive your orders and any disposed money more quickly.

To submit an online application for the determination on the disposal of security bond or other Court orders that you would normally apply for in person, you will first have to register for the eCourts Portal.

When you use the portal to start a new document, you’ll answer a series of questions to ensure that the application falls under the Residential Tenancies Act 1987 and can be handled by the Court. More information is available about the process for using online forms.

While you can still lodge applications over the counter, the online system is more convenient, efficient, and less susceptible to errors. And it's easy too.

Bonds Administration and the eCourts Portal

When making an application through the eCourts Portal, the lessor/tenant surname needs to exactly match the details Bonds Administration has on file. You can check these details on the Record of Payment of Security Bond form. If you don’t have a copy of this form you can request one by sending an email.

If there is an error in the bond details, email for advice.

When an application is made to the Magistrates Court, the court will try to contact all parties to advise them that an application has been made. If the court does not have an address for one of the parties, a notice will be listed in the eCourts Portal instead. 

Considering buying your first home? There may be a grant for you!

In case you missed it, on 6 June Today Tonight featured the Home Buyers Assistance Account grant

Eligible applicants can receive a grant of up to $2,000 toward the purchase of a first home in Western Australia. The funds help to reimburse some of the incidental expenses associated with the purchase of your first home which may include mortgage registration fees, solicitor and/or conveyancing fees, valuation fees, inspection fees, establishment fees, mortgage insurance premiums and lending institution fees. 

Curious to know if you qualify? Check out the Home Buyers Assistance Account page to see the full list of criteria. 

For more information have a look at the Home Buyers Assistance Account guide for first home buyers.

Did you know?

We’ve got great resources for home buyers in the Buying and selling a home section of our website. You’ll find a wealth of information regarding buying a property, property purchase/sale contracts, property industry professionals, and where to get help.

It's tax time: Don't get scammed!

WA taxpayers are being warned about scams as losses increase. In the 12 months to the end of May 2019, 43 people reported to Consumer Protection losing a total of $205,250 to tax scams, representing a substantial increase on previous years. Tax scams usually peak between July and December as people are submitting their tax returns.

Information and advice on scams is available on the WA ScamNet website. Enquiries can be made to Consumer Protection by email or by calling 1300 304 054.

Consumer Protection
Last updated 04 Jul 2019

Last modified: