RTA review fact sheet - Keeping pets in rental premises
Consultation status: CLOSED
Submissions closed at 5pm on 30 June 2020.
Does the law about keeping pets in rental premises need to be changed?
- Allow a landlord to refuse only where there are reasonable grounds to do so.
- Allow a landlord to refuse only where the landlord has an exemption from the court or the Commissioner.
- Clarify that tenants must make sure their pets do not cause a nuisance and must repair any damage to the premises caused by the pet.
Tell us what you think...
- Except under limited circumstances, should all tenants be allowed to keep pets?
- If tenants are allowed to keep pets under limited circumstances, what types of conditions should be considered?
- What might be reasonable grounds for a landlord to refuse a tenant’s request to keep a pet?
- If tenants are allowed to keep pets, what changes should be made to the Residential Tenancies Act to reduce the risks for landlords?
Share this page: