RTA review fact sheet - Long term tenancies
COVID-19 coronavirus notice
The deadline for submissions to the Residential Tenancies Act Consultation has been extended to 30 June 2020. This extension aims to ensure all stakeholders have sufficient opportunity to provide a submission, considering the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
How can we encourage landlords to offer tenants longer leases?
- Educate and encourage landlords to offer longer leases.
- Stop or limit the use of fixed term tenancy agreements, so that a tenancy remains open ended for as long as the tenant wants to stay at the premises.
- Allow longer fixed term agreements to have special terms and conditions to encourage their use.
- Give tenants the option to renew for a minimum of five years.
Tell us what you think...
- As a tenant, what has been your experience in securing a long term lease?
- As a landlord, what has been your experience in finding tenants who want a long term lease?
- Why are six and 12 month fixed term tenancy agreements often used?
- Should the Residential Tenancies Act be changed to prevent fixed-term tenancies? Why or why not?
- What special conditions could apply to longer fixed-term tenancies to make them more appealing?
It's easy to have your say!
To submit feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the RTA review: www.commerce.wa.gov.au/tenancyreview or ring 1300 304 054
Share this page: