Safety alert 06/2012 - Kitchen hand injured while transferring hot oil to an oil disposal machine
A kitchen hand in a fast food outlet received hot oil burns to his face, neck, upper chest and arms as he was transferring hot oil from the deep fryer to an oil disposal machine. The hot oil was being transferred in buckets. The sieve had been removed from the oil disposal machine by the kitchen hand because it was clogged by food particles. The hot oil was poured straight into the oil disposal machine. The oil disposal machine was switched on and the oil spattered up over the kitchen hand.
A written procedure for the transferring of oil to an oil disposal machine was available. However, the kitchen hand had never been trained in the procedure.
The kitchen hand had never been trained in the written procedure for the transferring of oil to an oil disposal machine.
- The manager who had asked the kitchen hand to assist him had not seen the procedure for transferring oil to an oil disposal machine.
- The sieve to the oil disposal machine was clogged by food particles and needed to be removed and cleaned.
- The oil disposal machine had been switched on.
- The oil had not been cooled down before being transferred.
- A risk assessment on all tasks must be performed by the employer or person in control of the workplace.
- Workers must be trained and supervised in using safe work procedures.
- To eliminate the hazard, use an oil filtering machine to transfer oil from the deep fryer to the oil disposal machine.
- Ensure the safe work procedures to guide employees incorporate the correct temperature for the type of oil or fat being used and expected timeframes for the products to reach safe temperatures.
- Ensure that the sieve to the oil disposal machine is kept clear of food particles and kept clean.
- Provide employees with the appropriate personal protective equipment.
Further information relevant to the hospitality industry can be obtained from WorkSafe’s website or by contacting customer service on 1300 307 877 or email email@example.com
This Alert contains safety information following inquiries made by WorkSafe about an incident or unsafe practice. The information contained in this Alert does not necessarily include the outcome of WorkSafe’s action with respect to an incident. WorkSafe does not warrant the information in this Alert is complete or up to date and does not accept any liability to any person for the information in this report or as to its use.
Share this page: