Safety alert 13/2009 - Unguarded grain and fertiliser auger causes serious injury
A farm worker was seriously injured when his clothing (shirt) became entangled in an exposed rotating shaft of a twin auger.
The person was directing fertiliser from the twin augers into compartments of an air-seeding cart at the discharge end of the auger.
The person reached across one of the augers to operate the feed process when the rotating shaft entangled his shirt. The clothing tightened around his neck causing life threatening injuries.
Factors to consider
- The shaft ends of the augers were not guarded.
- Location of the controls allowed the person to reach from his work position across dangerous moving parts to operate the controls.
- Type of clothing worn while working in close proximity to unguarded moving parts.
- Dangerous moving parts of plant must be adequately guarded. This includes the rotating shafts on augers.
- Ensure controls to operate plant are not located in the vicinity of dangerous moving parts.
This Alert contains safety information following inquiries made by WorkSafe about an incident or unsafe practice. The information contained in this Alert does not necessarily include the outcome of WorkSafe’s action with respect to an incident. WorkSafe does not warrant the information in this Alert is complete or up to date and does not accept any liability to any person for the information in this report or as to its use.
Share this page: