Safety alert 14/2012 - Elevating work platform fatality
An operator was killed when the jib supporting the bucket of the EWP he was operating failed, causing him to fall approximately 20 metres with the bucket. The EWP was an Italmec model Ital Jib 42N. The failure occurred between the jib luffing ram attachment points.
- Angle fishplates had been welded to each external corner of the hollow jib section.
- The failure was located at the end of one of the angle fishplates on the bottom face of the jib.
- A metallurgical examination indicated the angle fishplate welding was associated with the failure.
- All Italmec EWPs to undergo radiographic testing of their boom and jib welds.
- Remove from service any EWP identified as unsafe until all defects have been corrected under the supervision of an engineer.
Manufacturer, importer or local supplier of the EWP.
Further information can also be obtained from WorkSafe’s website or by contacting customer service on 1300 307 877 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This Alert contains safety information following inquires made by WorkSafe about an incident or unsafe practice. The information contained in this Alert does not necessarily include the outcome of WorkSafe’s action with respect to an incident. WorkSafe does not warrant the information in this Alert is complete or up to date and does not accept any liability to any person for the information in this report or as to its use.
Share this page: