Use of independent competent person to conduct a clearance following licensed non-friable asbestos removal
The exemption is subject to the following conditions which must be followed.
- The exemption only applies to the removal of non-friable asbestos containing material.
- The exemption is only applicable in circumstances where the person has made reasonable efforts to identify an ICP and has not identified an ICP within a 150 kilometre radius of the removal site.
- The clearance must be conducted by a licensed asbestos removalist, who may be the removalist who conducted the asbestos removal.
- The person conducting the clearance must take photographs during the clearance to show that the asbestos containing materials have been removed and that no remaining asbestos containing material is visible.
- The person conducting the clearance must produce a clearance certificate.
- The person who commissioned the asbestos removal work accompanies the asbestos removalist to inspect the removal area after the clearance, where practicable.
- The clearance certificate and photographs must be retained by the person who conducted the clearance for two years after the conclusion of the removal work, for the purpose of licence compliance assessments conducted by WorkSafe.
This exemption is applicable to the following classes of person:
- The holder of an asbestos removal licence (class A or Class B) or
- A person who commissions non-friable asbestos removal work, other than where the removal work relates to a residential premises.
The exemption is valid until 30 March 2024.
Share this page: