This publication is a summary of the Children's Services (Private) Award.
This award covers businesses which are private nurseries, private child care or private day care facilities which provide care for children and which do not receive recurrent funding from the State or Federal Governments. For employees of Government funded child care centres the Child Care (Subsidised Centres) Award (links to the full award on the WA Industrial Relations Commission website) is likely to apply.
On 26 June 2020 the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission (WAIRC) issued the 2020 State Wage Case decision. The WAIRC decision grants a 1.75% per week increase in WA award rates of pay from the first pay period on or after 1 January 2021.
To view pay rates for previous years visit the Previous WA award summaries - pre 1 January 2021 page.
This WA award summary applies to businesses in the state industrial relations system. It covers businesses which operate as:
- sole traders (e.g. Jane Smith trading as Jane’s Childcare)
- unincorporated partnerships (e.g. Jane and Bob Smith trading as Jane’s Childcare)
- unincorporated trust arrangements. (e.g. Jane and Bob Smith as trustees for the Smith Family Trust trading as Jane’s Childcare)
- incorporated associations and other non-profit bodies (that are not trading or financial corporations)
This summary does not cover businesses and organisations in the national industrial relations system which operate as:
- Pty Ltd businesses that are trading or financial corporations (e.g. Smith Pty Ltd trading as Jane’s Childcare)
- incorporated associations and other not-for-profit bodies (that are trading or financial corporations)
If the business or organisation is in the national system visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website www.fairwork.gov.au