This publication is a summary of the Restaurant, Tearoom and Catering Workers Award.
On 16 June 2023 the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission (WAIRC) issued the 2023 State Wage Case decision increasing the minimum rates of pay from the first full pay period on or after 1 July 2023. The details of the decision are on the State Wage Case decision page.
There are several WA awards covering the work of baristas, chefs, cooks, and kitchen, counter, catering, bar and wait staff. The award that applies will depend on the type of business:
- Restaurant, cafe, lunch bar, catering contractor, or fast food outlet* - Restaurant, Tearoom and Catering Workers Award
- * Fast food businesses in the state system trading as: Red Rooster, Pizza Hut, Hungry Jacks, KFC, Chicken Treat, Chooks Fresh and Tasty, McDonalds, Subway or Heros Pizza are covered by the Fast Food Outlets Award (links to the full award on the WA Industrial Relations Commission website).
- Hotel - Hotel and Tavern Workers Award
- Motel - Motel, Hostel, Service Flats and Boarding House Workers Award
- Licensed Club - Club Workers Award
To view pay rates for previous years visit the Previous WA award summaries page.
This WA award summary applies to businesses in the state industrial relations system. It covers businesses (and their employees) that operate as:
- sole traders
- unincorporated partnerships
- unincorporated trust arrangements
- incorporated associations and other non-profit bodies that are not trading or financial corporations
This summary does not cover businesses and organisations in the national industrial relations system which operate as:
- Pty Ltd businesses that are trading or financial corporations
- incorporated associations and other non-profit bodies that are trading or financial corporations
If the business or organisation is in the national system visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website www.fairwork.gov.au