WorkSafe Western Australia silica compliance project - report
Between July 2018 and May 2021, WorkSafe WA undertook a proactive compliance project into engineered stone benchtop fabrication and installation to investigate respirable crystalline silica (RCS) exposure risks and controls. The project also included a review of RCS dust hazards during wall chasing activities in the construction industry and sample preparation processes in assay laboratories.
This report provides a summary of the compliance project, including findings, actions taken and recommendations.
- Commission for Occupational Safety and Health – Guidance note – Working with stone: Product fabrication and installation
- WorkSafe – Checklist – Stone benchtop fabrication and installation
- WorkSafe – Dust hazards in assay labs
- WorkSafe – Safety alert 11/2018 - Stone benchtop workers at risk of silicosis
- WorkSafe – Silica Dust (respirable crystalline) – Health Surveillance – Guide for medical practitioners 2021
- WorkSafe – Bulletin – Issues with wall chasing – 2019
- Safe Work Australia – Guidance on the interpretation of workplace exposure standards for airborne contaminants
- WorkSafe NZ – Life Shavers Campaign – RPE
Share this page: