Frequently asked questions - Plant and machinery

This page is for: 
Employee / workerEmployer

This page contains frequently asked questions on plant and machinery

Can earthmoving equipment be used as a crane? 

Yes.  Special requirements for earthmoving equipment used as a crane can be found in AS1418.8.  However where the primary use of the plant is for craneage work, all the relevant requirements of AS1418.5 and AS 1418.8 apply.

What are the inspection requirements for a mobile crane? 

Regulation 4.54(4) requires that cranes be inspected in accordance with manufacturers instructions.  If there are no manufacturer instructions then in accordance with Australian Standards. AS 2550.1 details the inspection requirements for mobile cranes.

Are square head cutter blocks on woodworking machines prohibited?

Square head cutter blocks are not prohibited provided they were originally designed and manufactured for the machine.

Square head cutter block have a large cutting angle therefore cut aggressively and are unable to provide a smooth finish the angle also increases the wear on the blade tip.  Sharpening and adjusting square head cutter blocks is time consuming and requires considerable skill to set the blades correctly before sharpening. 

Can square head cutter blocks be replaced? 

Yes. A competent person must complete a risk assessment before replacing the square head cutter blocks on a machine.  A competent person must also manufacture and install the cutter blocks.

Are push sticks required for panel or bench saws?

Yes.  Push sticks are devices that minimise the risk of operators making contact with the rotating blade on a bench or panel saw.  The push sticks should be readily available to the operator of bench or panel saws.

Can I use compressed air to blow off the dust on my clothes?

No.  This is a dangerous practice and has the potential to seriously injure a person or cause death.  The compressed air can easily enter the blood stream through a cut or abrasion.  When the compressed air penetrates the skin it is carrying all the particulates, toxins and oils from the air lines created during the compression of air.

My job requires me to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) like safety boots and hearing protection.  Do I have to pay for this out of my own pocket?

No.  Where it is not practicable to avoid the presence of hazards at the workplace, Section 19(1)(d) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 requires the employer to provide employees with or provide for employees to have, equipment and clothing as is practicable to protect them against those hazards, without any cost to the employees.

Share this page:

Last modified: