HRA 6 - Construction of an underground explosive magazine at an underground mine

This page is for: 
Employee / workerEmployer

Notifications for the construction of an underground explosive magazine

Link to document

Who is responsible for the notification?

The mine operator of an underground mine is required to provide written notification to the regulator 30 days before the construction of an underground explosive magazine.

This application is not required if the details of this high risk mining activity are provided in either a mining commencement notice or an additional operations notice.

Refer to rr. 675UK, 675UL, 675UC, 675UD and Schedule 23 of the Work Health and Safety (Mines) Regulations 2022

Required information

Information required to be provided as part of this notification includes:

  • Information requested via SRS submission portal and the applicable pro forma,
  • Location, details of design including drawings and capacity,
  • Ventilation details,
  • A risk assessment that details controls that are to be implemented or are in place.

Depending on the nature of the mining operation, only the relevant part(s) of the application need to be completed. However, the items must be addressed in sufficient detail for the application to be properly assessed.

NOTE: Additional information may be requested after the application is lodged.

Lodging the application

All applications must be submitted through the SRS Submissions module

After successful lodgement via SRS, the high risk mining activity will be reviewed, the mine is required to wait the period of 30 days prior to the construction of an underground explosive magazine. The regulator must acknowledge the notice prior to the end of the waiting period and the entire waiting period must elapse prior to starting, unless it is waived or reduced by the regulator.

The submission is taken to be acknowledged by the regulator after 30 days if no written notice is provided to the mine operator that the application is incomplete or that the waiting period is to be extended.

An SRS Company Administrator (CA) or a Company Representative (CR) can enter information into SRS. The CA can assign the role of CR to any person(s) you nominate to liaise with the Department regarding the submission.

Further information is available at Safety Regulation System (SRS)

Who can I contact?

For SRS queries:

SRS Manager
Phone: 1300 307 877

Last modified: