MON 5 - Notice of mine closure

This page is for: 
Employee / workerEmployer

Notices for closing a mine. This notice does not apply if only exploration activities will be carried out at the mine  please refer to Exploration operations commencement notice - r.675UJ (2). 

Use this link 

Who is responsible for the notification?

The relevant person in relation to the mine is required to take measures to ensure as far as reasonably practicable the mine or part thereof is made safe and secure on a permanent basis. Once these measure have been taken the relevant person is required to give notice to the regulator in writing.

Refer to r. 675UH of the Work Health and Safety (Mines) Regulations 2022. 

Required information

Information required to be provided as part of this notice includes:

  • Information requested via SRS submission portal and the applicable pro forma,
  • A description of the closure,
  • A description of the measures taken to ensure the mine is safe and secure in a permanent basis,
  • Any relevant information or documentation requested by the regulator or the mine deems relevant. 

Depending on the nature of the mining operation, only the relevant part(s) of the application need to be completed. However, the items must be addressed in sufficient detail for the application to be properly assessed.

Additional information may be requested or a notice issued to the relevant person after the application is lodged under r.675UI.

Lodging the application

All applications must be submitted through the SRS Submissions module

After successful lodgement via SRS, the notice will be reviewed. The regulator must give the relevant person in relation to the mine notice authorising closure of the mine or part thereof.

NOTE: The mine is not considered closed until the regulator has provided notice.

An SRS Company Administrator (CA) or a Company Representative (CR) can enter information into SRS. The CA can assign the role of CR to any person(s) you nominate to liaise with the Department regarding the submission.

Further information

Further information is available at Safety Regulation System (SRS) 

Who can I contact?

For SRS queries:

SRS Manager
Phone: 1300 307 877

Contact an inspector:

Phone: 1300 307 877

Last modified: