Applying for a charity licence

This page is for: 
Not for profit

An application for a charitable collections licence should be lodged with the Commissioner for Consumer Protection (the Commissioner). All applications received will be reviewed by the Charitable Collections Advisory Committee, an independent body, which makes recommendations to the Commissioner. 

Who can apply for a licence

Licences are only granted to incorporated bodies such as limited companies and incorporated associations. Individuals or unincorporated groups intending to collect money for a charitable purpose should make arrangements to fundraise under the authority of an existing licence holder. 

If you are setting up a new organisation it is important to make an informed decision about the most appropriate legal structure based on the purpose, objectives and nature of the group. The options available may include:

Application requirements

The application for a charitable collections licence requires the following documents:

  • a completed Application for WA charitable collections licence form;
  • copies of the governing documents for the organisation. For example, trust deed, certificate of incorporation or registration and the rules or constitution.  Note: Applicants who are incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act 2015 (WA) are not required to provide the certificate and rules; and 
  • latest financial report including an income and expenditure statement and balance sheet (not required for newly registered organisations).

There are no fees to obtain a charitable collections licence. 

If the application is approved, the organisation will be issued with a licence certificate and can commence its charitable collection activities. 

Successful applicants must also familiarise themselves with the licence conditions and ensure that all of these obligations are met. 





Last modified: