Authorised mine surveyor’s certificate (grade 1)
A person is eligible for an authorised mine surveyor’s certificate (grade 1) if the person:
- holds a degree or diploma in mine surveying technology from an Australian university that includes 2 units in mining and 1 unit in structural geology or engineering geology, or a 3-year diploma of mine surveying from a TAFE that includes 2 units in mining and 1 unit in structural geology or engineering geology, or a qualification approved by SCAC (see below); and
- has experience preparing underground surveys at a mine under the supervision of a surveyor for at least 2 years; and
- passes a mining practice examination and an applicable legislation examination for an authorised mine surveyor’s certificate (grade 1); and
- is of good character.
SCAC may approve another qualification for certification purposes if:
- the qualification is a surveying qualification from a university or other education institution; and
- the qualification includes at least 2 units in mining and 1 unit in structural geology or engineering geology; and
- the Committee is satisfied the qualification is equivalent to a degree or diploma mentioned above.
Approved WHS management units
Statutory certification requires completion of the national units of competency in health and safety risk management approved for this certificate.
Assessment of "good character”
Statutory certification requires a person to be “of good character”. The assessment by the Competence Advisory Committee is based on the National Police Certificate.
First aid training
HLTAID011 Provide First Aid is the minimum requirement for statutory certification.
No fee payable to sit the work health and safety examination
Transitioning a certificate of competency to a WHS statutory certificate
Certificate of competency holders have until the end of the transitional arrangements to transition their certificate over to an equivalent WHS statutory certificate. To apply:
- Create or log in to your Mines statutory positions portal (MSPP) account
- Upload a copy of your certificate of competency issued under the repealed Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994
- Upload evidence of completing relevant risk management units for the certificate
- Once WorkSafe reviews and confirms your evidence, you will be prompted via email to enrol into the applicable legalisation examination
- Once you pass the examination, you will be awarded an equivalent WHS statutory certificate. This can be downloaded via your MSPP profile.
Share this page: