Aboriginal consumer campaigns and publications
Consumer Protection and other agencies have produced publications and resources you may find useful.
Consumer Protection aims to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander consumers make smart choices when renting or shopping. The following communication campaigns focus on common issues which affect Aboriginal consumers. Some have been developed for general use and others are specifically designed to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Campaigns designed for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander consumers
- 6 Simple Rules - the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) videos on when it's time to use your consumer rights.
- It’s OK to Walk Away – is designed to educate and empower consumers in Aboriginal communities to know their consumer rights.
- It's OK to Walk Away - Download the poster to help consumers be confident against high pressure sales tactics.
- My Dardy Car – Radio series to provide tips for buying and owning a car.
- VET FEE help – to inform and help students who signed up to these schemes.
- Be Smart - Buy Smart – a guide to help you understand your rights as a consumer.
- Don't get ripped off is a series of radio announcements targeting Aboriginal consumer issues including:
- The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), have money tips and resources to help Aboriginal people, available on their MoneySmart website.
- Don’t Come Knocking – campaign that deals with rogue traders that target Aboriginal consumers either by door to door or over the phone.
- Indigenous Consumers Count – examines consumer issues facing Aboriginal Western Australians and if Consumer Protection services meet their needs.
- Safe Tenancy WA- everyone has the right to feel safe in their home
- Safe Tenancy poster/factsheet
- Avoid a funeral RIP off – information to explain the different funeral payment options
- Don’t Duck Out, Make It Safe - campaign to provide water safety advice especially about portable pools
- Product safety recalls
Feel free to download and use our publications:
- Ask Us publication series:
- Samsung top loader washing machine safety recall flyer
- Indigenous Consumers Count report
- Aboriginal Consumers Education Plan
- Scam prevention posters - Download and print posters designed for Aboriginal communities.
- Little Black Book of Scams - produced by the ACCC
Consumer Protection WA plays a key role in the National Indigenous Consumer Strategy (NICS).