Consumer complaint contacts

This page is for: 

The following organisations may be able to help you when you have a dispute or complaint.


While this list highlights selected contacts in each category, there are others available.

Consumer protection agencies

Consumer awareness

CHOICE - Consumer advocacy group that tests products and provides advice about food, finance and health.


Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) - Australian Government agency for fair trading, competition and consumer protection.

National Measurement Institute (NMI) - Australian Government agency for trade measurement enquiries and complaints about weights and measures.

Information privacy

Office of the Australian Information Commissioner - Independent statutory agency that handles matters associated with information privacy and freedom of information.

Interstate agencies

ACT Office of Fair Trading - Australian Capital Territory consumer affairs regulator.

NSW Fair Trading - New South Wales consumer affairs regulator.

NT Consumer Affairs - Northern Territory consumer affairs regulator. 

Queensland Office of Fair Trading - Queensland consumer affairs regulator.

SA Office of Consumer and Business Services - South Australian consumer affairs regulator.

Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Tasmania - Tasmanian consumer affairs regulator. 

Consumer Affairs Victoria - Victoria's consumer affairs regulator.

Product safety

Product Safety Australia - Coordinated by the ACCC, this service provides information on product safety in Australia, including banned and restricted products. It also provides up-to-date information about recalled products across Australia.

Recalls Australia - ACCC service giving information on product recalls in Australia.

Scams and fraud

Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) - Australian Government agency that monitors cyber threats, provides advice and information about how to protect yourself and your business online, and investigates cyber security threats. Accepts online reporting of cybercrime such as identity theft and fraud, online fraud, cyber-enabled abuse, online image abuse and affected devices. 

Crime Stoppers WA- An independent, not-for-profit organisation and registered charity, helping keep WA communities safer. No crime is committed in secret and Crime Stoppers enables you to anonymously report criminal activity and suspicious behaviour.

eConsumer - Partnership of more than 35 consumer protection agencies around the world where you can report international scams.

IDCARE - Australian non-profit organisation that provides support for individuals confronting identity and cyber security concerns. 

Scamwatch - ACCC service giving information on scams and how to avoid being caught out.

Stay Smart Online - Australian Government agency for online safety and security, with information about avoiding scams and identity theft.

WA ScamNet - Consumer Protection WA service that profiles the most prevalent scams targeting Western Australians and provides information on different types of scams, how to recognise scams, and what to do if you have received a scam. Report scams or suspected scams via the Report a scam online form. 

Legal services

Always get independent legal advice before you sign a contract that involves a large commitment of your time or money.

Courts and tribunals

Western Australia Courts - The various courts that operate in WA, including the Supreme CourtDistrict Court and Magistrates Court.

Western Australia Tribunals - The State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) hears most types of administrative dispute and any civil cases where the amount involved is less than $25,000. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal hears applications for compensation by victims of crime in Western Australia.

Legal advice

Community Legal WA - Find one of the 26 community legal centres located throughout metropolitan, regional and remote Western Australia.

The Law Society of Western Australia - Online search tool to find a lawyer in WA.

Legal Aid WA - Organisation that provides information, advice and other legal help to Western Australians. (Legal Aid Commission of Western Australia)

Legal service complaints

Legal Profession Complaints Committee - Hears complaints about conduct of solicitors, barristers or law practice employees.

Ombudsman services

Commonwealth Ombudsman - Australian Government agency that hears complaints against other agencies. They investigate, audit, inspect and oversee federal agencies.

Ombudsman Western Australia  - Independent officer of Parliament that investigates complaints against public authorities including State Government agencies, statutory authorities and boards, local government, and universities.

Various industry areas

If talking to the business doesn’t work, you may be able to approach an industry organisation. This could be:

  • a peak body that businesses can join as members
  • an independent body that works as a mediator
  • a government office that works with that industry.

Advertising and marketing

Advertising Standards Bureau - Industry body that hears complaints about discrimination, sexuality, language and violence in advertising and helps the industry regulate itself.

Australian Direct Marketing Association - Industry body that handles complaints about direct marketing, such as telemarketing, door-to-door sales and unsolicited mail.

Building and renovating

Architects Board of Western Australia - Statutory authority that protects consumers of architectural services. If you believe your architect is behaving in an unprofessional manner or has contravened the Architects Act 2004, then a complaint can be made to the Board.

Building and Energy - Oversees the operations of the building, building surveying, electrical, gas, painting, and plumbing industries including the resolution of building service and payment disputes in WA. Provides an avenue for both consumers and builders to resolve disputes relating to the carrying out of regulated building services and home building work contracts. (Division of Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety)

Electricity, gas and water services

Building and Energy - Oversees the operations of the building, building surveying, electrical, gas, painting, and plumbing industries including the resolution of building service and payment disputes in WA. (Division of Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety)

Energy and Water Ombudsman WA - Independent mediator that can help you resolve complaints with your energy provider.

Family and small business

Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman - Statutory body that provides support for small businesses and family enterprises should they become involved in a dispute.

Small Business Development Corporation - Independent statutory authority that delivers and facilitates relevant, practical support to small businesses and advocates on their behalf.

Financial and insurance services

Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) - Dispute resolution scheme for financial services including credit, investment and financial advice, finance and loans. Assists consumers and small businesses to reach agreements with financial firms about how to resolve their complaints. AFCA considers complaints that previously would have been handled by the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Credit and Investments Ombudsman and the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal.

Australian Financial Security Authority (AFSA) - Australian Government service that can assist you if you go bankrupt.

Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) - Australian Government body that can hear complaints about services such as banking, investments, credit or insurance.

Medical and dental services

Australian Dental Association WA - Association representing dentists and their patients in Western Australia. Provides general advice, monitors a code of ethics and provides a dispute resolution process.

Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency - Manages investigations into the professional conduct, performance or health of registered health practitioners. Manages registration of health practitioners (publically available) and supports National Boards.

Health and Disability Services Complaints Office (HaDSCO) - Independent Statutory Authority that deals with complaints about health, disability and mental health services in Western Australia and the Indian Ocean Territories.

Motor vehicles and petrol

Consumer Protection WA (Automotive, Marine and Trading Hours Branch) - Motor vehicle dealers and repairers are required to be licensed with Consumer Protection. We can help if you have a question or complaint about a person or business operating in the motor vehicle industry.

Department of Transport and Main Roads - Department that handles complaints about unsafe vehicles, trailers and transport of dangerous goods.

Fuel price monitoring - ACCC service that monitors the price of fuel products and handles complaints about anti-competitive conduct (such as price fixing).

Fuel quality monitoring - Australian Government service that handles enquiries about fuel quality.

Real estate

Body Corporate and Community Management - Handles disputes with body corporate agencies.

Consumer Protection WA (Property Industries Directorate) -  Handles complaints and provides information about bonds and tenant's rights and responsibilities; all aspects of buying and selling a property, from dealing with real estate agents and contracts of sale to transfer duty and termite inspections; and advice and support on the many important issues associated with retirement village living. (Division of Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety)

Real Estate Institute of Western Australia (REIWA) - Association for the real estate profession in Western Australia.

Small Business Development Corporation - Information and advice on commercial tenancy. 

Telephones, internet services and pay television

Do Not Call Register - Australian Government service that lets you register to avoid getting unsolicited phone calls from telemarketers.

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman - Independent mediator for resolving complaints about phone and internet services, including disputes about billing and property access.

Australian Communications and Media Authority - Australian Government body which accepts complaints about television (including pay TV) content.

Training services 

Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) - Monitors training providers and takes complaints on training and assessment products, outcomes and services provided by training organisations.

Ombudsman WA - Provides a free, confidential, and independent service to review and resolve enquiries and complaints from apprentices, trainees, student, employers and other parties about the vocational education and training system in WA.

Travel services

Airline Consumer Advocate (ACA) - Independent service that hears complaints about air travel services from the major domestic airlines.

Veterinary services

Veterinary Surgeons Board WA - An information service to consumers and veterinarians on the conduct of veterinary science in Western Australia. Investigates complaints about veterinary surgeons. 

Workplace services

Wageline / Labour Relations  - Administers State and Federal private sector award and wage information. (Division of Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety)

WorkSafe - Regulator of workplace health and safety.

WA Industrial Relations Commission - An independent, quasi-judicial tribunal that deals with industrial matters in the state of Western Australia. One of the main objectives of the Commission is to prevent and settle industrial or employment disputes.

Fair Work Commission - Australia's national workplace relations tribunal and can assist with procedural information about matters heard including unfair dismissal, general protections disputes, making a new enterprise agreement, and industrial action.

Fair Work Ombudsman - The national workplace relations regulator, dealing with pay, leave, employment conditions, awards and workplace laws.

Workcover WA - Workers compensation advice. The Workers’ Compensation Conciliation Service (WCCS) and Workers’ Compensation Arbitration Service (WCAS) aim to provide an independent and transparent system for the fair, timely and cost-effective resolution of workers’ compensation disputes in Western Australia.

Consumer Protection WA (Automotive, Marine and Trading Hours Branch) - Decides trading hours outside the minimum allowable hours, including public holidays and for special displays and exhibitions, such as swap meets, trade fairs and industry expos. (Division of Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety)

Share this page:

Last modified: