Car market operator
Please be aware that due to essential network maintenance being performed by Western Power, some of our web services may become intermittently unavailable from 7.00am on Sunday, 21 January 2018 and throughout the day. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
A car market is a market provided by a registered car market operator who does not own the secondhand vehicles which are displayed for sale. It is not an auction premises.
Vehicles displayed for sale at a car market cannot be owned by other licensed dealers.
Quite often, a car market will be used for other purposes (such as public parking) on non-normal trading days.
What you need to do to get a registration
To get a car market operator registration you must:
- complete the application form;
- pay the appropriate fee;
- prove that you are over 18 years of age;
- provide the business name/s you plan to use; and
- ensure the company is registered (if applicable). Consumer Protection will check the ASIC register to confirm any registration at the time of application.
If you are thinking of becoming a car market operator and want more information, please contact our Licensing Branch on 1300 304 064.
- The Commissioner can attach conditions or restrictions to any registration.
- A Car Market Operator cannot hold any other licence as a dealer, yard manager or salesperson.
Share this page: