How to lodge a Consumer Protection complaint form

This page is for: 

In Western Australia and the Indian Ocean Territories, Consumer Protection attempts to settle property related disputes and complaints around retail goods or services purchased here, or from Australian retailers online. Priority is given to people who are at risk of harm, and issues that have the potential to cause widespread impact.

Complaints cannot be considered by Consumer Protection if already referred to court.

National Interpreter Symbol
National Interpreter Symbol, by Consumer Protection
Communication image
Communication image, by Consumer Protection

Have you tried talking to the trader/seller?

Consumer complaint checklist

Sample complaint letters/emails

Before you get started 

  • To help us assess your complaint, provide as much information as you can, including supporting documents like:
    • contact details of the business and person you dealt with
    • date of purchase/when the issue occurred
    • amount paid and method of purchase (i.e cash, credit card), order forms, invoices, images, emails with the trader or seller
  • The complaint form will take approximately 20 minutes to complete and can only be saved on completion.
  • For more information call 1300 30 40 54 or email.

Consumer complaint forms

Complaint forms
Products, services and motor vehicles  Property (renting, buying and selling homes) Downloadable (PDF)

Retail and Automotive online complaint form - Complaints about buying, selling and repairing products and services and motor vehicles. 

Property related online complaint form - Complaints about renting and other property related complaints. 

Downloadable complaint form - for handwritten completion and delivery by mail.


Once your form has been submitted

We will review the information and may contact you if more information is required. If your complaint is suitable for Consumer Protection conciliation, we will contact you to discuss the next steps in our process.

Our conciliation officers always try to seek an outcome that is fair and reasonable in accordance with the relevant legislation, including the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) and Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). 

Last modified: