Tenants and landlords urged to claim $1.5 million in bond money

Consumer Protection is urging tenants and landlords in WA to check for unclaimed bond money amounting to a total of almost $1.5 million.

The bond money relates to 4,887 tenancies that came to an end between January 2007 and December 2010. The bonds were not paid out for a variety of reasons:

  • Disposal forms submitted were missing signatures;
  • Monies left in dispute of whom it is to be paid to;
  • Payment cheque not presented to the bank; or
  • No forwarding contact details were provided.

The funds, which were held by the Bond Administrator, have been provided to Treasury for listing on their website. So people who believe they may be owed bond money can confirm if any monies are owing to them by doing a quick check on the Treasury website.

“If the Treasury search confirms that bond money is owed to you, all you need to do is send us a written claim with some ID,” says Commissioner for Consumer Protection David Hillyard.

“Claims lodged in the next few days may be processed in time for Christmas or at least help with paying the post-Christmas bills. The average payment owed is about $300 and the highest individual payment owed is $5,300 so I’m sure this money is better put in the pockets of the rightful owner.

“With $1.5 million of unclaimed bonds being held, we are keen that such a large amount of money is returned to the people who have a right to it as soon as possible, so please check today.

“The check is free and easy to do, so there is no need to pay a third party to conduct a search for you. If you get contacted by someone offering to do the check for a fee, we recommend that you decline and try doing it yourself, or get assistance from us if you are having difficulty.”

Here’s how to search and claim:

Search your name on the Treasury website:  http://www.treasury.wa.gov.au/unclaimedmoney/ and, if any results appear, they will include a Bond Refund number once you have clicked the + sign. Note this number as you will need it when you submit your claim.

Submit a signed letter requesting payment, along with a copy of your identification, to the Bond Administrator via email bondsadmin@dmirs.wa.gov.au or by post. Please include the bond refund number found on the Treasury website, along with the rental address and amount.

Any payments listed under more than one name will require all parties to submit a request stating how payment is to be divided.

Once your letter is received, our office we will assess your claim request and advise if any further documentation is required.

If you require assistance, please call 1300 853 829.


Media Contact: Alan Hynd, (08) 6552 9248 / 0429 078 791 / alan.hynd@dmirs.wa.gov.au  

Consumer Protection
Media release
13 Dec 2018

Last modified: