Motor vehicle dealer licence
When you apply for a motor vehicle dealers licence you will need to specify the category of licence you are applying for.
Dealer licence categories
Dealers can be issued a licensed endorsed with one or more of the following categories:
|Category of licence||Description of business|
|A||Vehicle sales||Buying, selling and auctioning vehicles other than motor cycles, caravans or campervans.|
|B||Motor cycle sales||Buying, selling and auctioning motor cycles.|
|C||Caravan sales||Buying, selling and auctioning caravans and campervans.|
|D||Vehicle wrecker (dismantler)||Buying any vehicles for the purpose of dismantling them and selling off the parts. (Wrecker)|
|E||Vehicle broker/agent||Acting as an agent to facilitate the selling or purchase of any vehicles on behalf of members of the public. (Broker)|
|F||Vehicle hire and sales||Hiring out vehicles, buying vehicles for hiring out, and selling and auctioning any vehicles that have been hired out by the dealer.|
|Combination||Any combination of A, B, C, D, E and F, as nominated by the dealer||The business subject of the nominated categories.|
How to apply
A motor vehicle dealer's licence application can be made by a sole trader, a partnership (firm) or a corporation.
To obtain a motor vehicle dealer licence, you must:
- Complete the application form.
- Pay the appropriate fee.
- Identify (in the application form) the category/ies of licence you are seeking.
- Successfully complete the motor vehicle dealer licensing course conducted by an accepted training provider (in the case of a partnership or corporation, this includes any partner or director engaged in the day-to-day running of the dealership).
- Satisfy the Commissioner that you have sufficient resources to meet the obligations for the category/ies of licence you are applying for. For this to occur, the Commissioner will obtain a credit history report on the applicant.
- Provide a National Police Certificate (less than three months old) for each individual (sole proprietor, partners or directors of a corporation) associated with the application. This will be used to consider whether the persons concerned in the management or conduct of the entity are of ‘good character and repute’ and ‘fit and proper persons’ to be in the business of buying and selling vehicles.
- Specify the dealers' premises where you propose to carry on business.
- Register the business name (if applicable).
- Register the company (if applicable).
If you are registered or licensed as a motor vehicle dealer elsewhere in Australia or New Zealand, and want to be registered in Western Australia, you can find out more information about having your qualifications recognised in WA.
Need some assistance?
If you are thinking of becoming a motor vehicle dealer and want more information or require a car market operator registration application form, please phone the Licensing branch on 1300 304 064
Share this page: